Author Topic: Laminated cedar/maple  (Read 1637 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Laminated cedar/maple
« on: February 07, 2016, 10:22:45 am »
Something about that still gets me going for some reason....lol.I know it's that darn red cedar.My old nemisis.Been chasing this sucker for a while in my mind and on the tillering tree.Even though it actually is kind of a predetermined kit bow of sorts.Gotta finish an ironwood bow first though.
OK I got some pretty straight gained red cedar.Two pieces so I have a back up...lol.Two inches wide.A little over an inch thick and close to 70" long.I figure to make an overall reflexed bow with it.Not putting any deflex in handle since it will have a self handle.Avoiding steaming etc. to put that in.68"/NTN/flat bow.Parallel limbs to midlimb then tapered to the tips.Eliptically tillered but still trying to get a rounded full draw profile.Since it will be rectangular shaped limbs I figure to put it together overbuilt to make sure I can get my poundage of at least 52#.Maybe starting out at least with 5/8" thick at fades of core???.The maple backing sent to me from Pine Hollow is 2" wide and 3/16" thick.Think I can take that down to 1/8" thick or won't that be neccesary?I'll c clamp her together every 1.5" with wooden buffer pads and rest it between 2 chairs on it's tips.Hoping to get at least 3" to 4" of glued in reflex.Any pointers about this will be appreciated.I want to give it my best shot.Hope I did'nt forget to mention anything.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Onebowonder

Re: Laminated cedar/maple
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 11:31:11 am »
I wish you had some pictures.… But the project you're describing sounds very familiar to me. My backing is black locust over red Cedar made very similarly to what you have described. Mine is still awaiting final tiller,… As many of my projects seem to go lately. 😜

OneBow

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 04:28:59 pm »
I'm also watching this one Ed I saw those backings at Pine Hollow & was thinking of using those with some white ash I got lying around  keep us posted
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 10:57:06 am »
Onebownder.....That's different using BL as a backing.Should work though I think if thinned enough.Lite green and red should look good.I thought I could describe my project enough without pics but I'll show pics of it when it gets to shooting some arrows.My pics aer'nt that great though.
Stickbender....Yea that should work too.Could dress that one up with some decent stain etc. or snake skins maybe.I'm finding out ash shafts dried for arrows might make good ones for me.I used to check out 3 rivers all the time for things but this Pine Hollow has a bit more things primitive to my liking.Thick ringed maple backing which should'nt make any diff really.It's kind of yellowed from Pine Hollow but expect it to turn more whitish after sanding etc.
I'm gonna thin this maple backing to 1/8" on this cedar.Don't want to overpower that cedar.Guess the red cedar is just something that keeps gnawing at me.Don't figure it to be a top notch performer or anything really but this long KCT bow sure flings an arrow at a good rate.They pull so damn smooth you know.
Got an unruly ironwood bow here to finish here first.It's another wiggly stick that should shoot center shot when done.Did'nt heat my reflex in evenly on both limbs so I had to reheat it.Leaving it rest again to rehydrate.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed