Author Topic: Osage outdoors?  (Read 2450 times)

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
Osage outdoors?
« on: February 07, 2016, 12:46:00 am »
Since people are able to make bows out of Osage fence posts that have been in the ground for a lifetime, can I store Osage staves outdoors, out of the sun without ruining them. I would debark and paint backs and ends. Just wondering because I really don't have room to store many staves in covered spaces.

I know some of you will volunteer to put them under cover for me, but, I'll handle the problem some way/ ::)
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Osage outdoors?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 08:07:41 am »
Bugs would be number one and only concern.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 08:14:39 am »
Heat, sunlight, bugs, and moisture would be some things you would want to consider.   
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 08:34:20 am »
I think you will be OK, especially if you remove the bark and the sapwood, I would cover the wood with a tarp. I stored a bunch of staves under my deck with the bark on, powder post beetles were a problem for a while until I got a toxic concentration of insecticide built up in the bark.

On another note; I stored a pile of bark on green osage staves behind a shed one time in the sun, I didn't look at it for months. When I checked on it months later it looked like a pile of twisted snakes, it had checked so badly I threw it all away.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 08:36:30 am »
I left a pile of staves in my garage in summer for a week, ruined every one. Sure, I can pick through and find a few sections with no checks, but very few. It's junk. Anymore, I try to just get 3-6 at a pop and store them right.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 09:48:23 am »
A lot of guys do store them outside.A friend of mine Grant gave me one that was 20 years old once with the bark on.Those wood wasp larva ate 10 to 12 rings into the heartwood.Cracks too.
I like to cut my osage in the fall after the first frost for sure.Even winter time.If I want to build up inventory.Debark them.Sapwood too.Shellac them back and ends.Let them dry slowly during that time of year.During cooler weather.Then by spring and summer when it gets hot they don't crack at all.Their already mostly dried.Prime ready to go staves come from that.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2016, 09:11:13 pm »
Thanks everybody. I got flooded with staves (most barely usable, a few good) because I had to cut down several 10" trunks that were entangled with the canopy of the tree I really wanted. Of course, I couldn't let anything usable go to waste, so I have half a pickup load of new stuff. I'll work them down and paint them. Then tarp them outside--probably under my deck as Erik mentioned.

Jim
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2016, 10:33:15 pm »
Tarping might hold moisture under unless it is otherwise ventilated.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2016, 11:37:48 pm »
Tarping might hold moisture under unless it is otherwise ventilated.

Yes, it will be off the ground and not seal in by a tarp, just keep the rain off.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2016, 08:32:57 am »
If you have a deck you don't need a tarp.

I made a rack under my deck to hold staves, it was once full.

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2016, 09:54:11 am »
Hey Erik, does it matter that the deck leaks? Or is the main thing to keep the sun off? It would be a great place to put these staves--lots of space going to waste there.

Jim
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2016, 02:46:45 pm »
My deck is covered.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2016, 07:20:04 pm »
I think if you take off the bark and seal them,, they will be ok,,
I have had osage outside exposed to the elements for years,, and then make a bow,,
but it is like gold,, so if you can protect it a bit that is the best way to go
people find dead logs laying in the woods and get good wood from it,, fence post etc,,
and I don't think it would hurt to seal the whole thing,, or paint the whole stave,, to prevent checking,,

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2016, 07:25:41 pm »
+1 Brad......but I've only have about 5 years experience with some stored outside and some inside.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking