Author Topic: ever made a sling?  (Read 3894 times)

Offline jeffp51

ever made a sling?
« on: January 18, 2016, 06:06:50 pm »
I thought this was cool...especially the guy's cordage skills
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzDMCVdPwnE

Offline unkieford

Re: ever made a sling?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 09:03:35 pm »
     When I was young (maybe 6-7 years old) I went on a camping trip with my father, and one of his friends. This man had a really nice leather sling, and showed me how far he could throw. I was, of course, amazed.
     When we got home, I took an old boot tongue and a pair of shoelaces and made one as best I could. On my second throw from across the street, I put a golf ball through my bedroom window.
     This experience left me with 3 things:
#1: A few days of being grounded
#2: I learned how to replace an old single pane style window.
#3 A lifelong obsession with ANY projectile device.  8)

It all mushroomed from there... archery, rifles, rockets.... whatever. Let's LAUNCH something!

---Ford---

Offline jayman448

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 02:45:53 am »
Yea ive made quite a few. Never got too good with them. Neat pattern made with a single piece of woven cordage (found thenpattern on youtube)

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 09:58:52 am »
Slings I make are bit too contemporary.   ;)

« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 10:48:14 am by Knoll »
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Spotted Dog

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 11:57:16 am »
That guy had some tough feet.   :o
A three strand cord is not easily broken. Ecc.4:12

Offline Joseph

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 09:07:10 am »
A few slings, a brief obsession with slingshots
Here is a cool video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCM2PKlRcZw

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2016, 11:39:39 am »
     When I was young (maybe 6-7 years old) I went on a camping trip with my father, and one of his friends. This man had a really nice leather sling, and showed me how far he could throw. I was, of course, amazed.
     When we got home, I took an old boot tongue and a pair of shoelaces and made one as best I could. On my second throw from across the street, I put a golf ball through my bedroom window.
     This experience left me with 3 things:
#1: A few days of being grounded
#2: I learned how to replace an old single pane style window.
#3 A lifelong obsession with ANY projectile device.  8)

It all mushroomed from there... archery, rifles, rockets.... whatever. Let's LAUNCH something!

---Ford---

"An old boot tongue"  Just that phrase brought back waves of memories of past slingshots. My primary source of leather in those days.

Offline Electricfrontporch

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2016, 12:44:33 pm »
Always carry one when I go wandering in the woods.....lots of fun......there is some good information and tutorials on slinging.org......make one its a blast....Noah
Don't Panic!

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2016, 11:28:52 am »
I have made them - gloves, laces, tule (scirpus sp.) dogbane cordage. there is a YT vid of an old guy slinging - he is good! My friend almost hit a tour bus once when we were slinging by the river. Yes - Humans just like to throw things!

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2016, 12:10:06 am »
Me and my grandpa made one out of his old sandals and some leather cord. Hit my dads boat, broke a garage window, and hit a car before I moved on to more predictable weapons. Found the sling in a box years later while in the army. Took it with me on a training mission, hit my Humvee. Found it the other day and I think I'll go out in the field and toss rocks at a box. Far far from anything else. The sling is just too fun though! And my grandpa made it with me about 15 years ago.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline bow101

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2016, 12:51:09 am »
  :laugh:    Yep remember the old days of cutting out  "An old boot tongue"  I use to be good at using a sling  with a 1/2 rotation and hit things.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2016, 07:47:15 am »
Very good video.Persistence,persistence.persistence....I'm impressed.The thing about it his arm is'nt sore at all as opposed to throwing that rock without a sling.Quite a fella.If every deer gave me 2 or 3 shots with a bow to hit the mark I'd get em all I shot at.....lol.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed