Author Topic: since were making grind over axes...  (Read 1647 times)

riverrat

since were making grind over axes...
« on: November 03, 2015, 06:56:12 pm »
since some of us are making grind over axes. im goin to do mine the older way :). i found some of the crappy stuff that does knapp down by the river.stage 1 find a rock that will knapp. and whack it in all the right places a few times...taper it front to back.....Tony

riverrat

Re: since were making grind over axes...
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 07:10:44 pm »
your going to need a handle....Tony

riverrat

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 07:31:46 pm »
we are going to need a way to shape,grind this blade right? o.k. im going to cheat a little here. i just so happen to have ,onhand, a flat piece of old sandstone sidewalk. however, i know in my heart, that if i spent enough time by the maumee, id find a flat broke off natural piece of sand stone. i have in the past. but for right this minute, i have this piece.and water from my rain barrels instead of from the river itself.Tony

riverrat

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 08:10:04 pm »
wife said this is messy. i have to go outside. its dark so looks like it might be a couple days till i get back to it. next two days i work.but ill post pics as i go. from beginning to end.end being a nice small sapling walnut tree id love to cut for a bow and a quiver! hey if you make it, you have to use it! lol Tony

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 08:21:56 pm »
I LIKE.....you are on a roll.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

riverrat

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 01:21:38 pm »
been awhile since we had some decent weather..... ground it on a piece of sand stone. im not going to get this all perfect smooth. its thin and small already, just touched it up a bit. but looks like it will work.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 07:35:31 pm »
Lookin pretty good.
Is that a locust stump?
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

riverrat

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2016, 05:04:45 am »
that one is mulberry but i have all kinds of stumps lol . i have a bunch out back for sitting on for a fire pit. Tony