Author Topic: Drones & Eagles  (Read 1574 times)

JacksonCash

Drones & Eagles
« on: February 02, 2016, 11:00:27 am »
Apparently Dutch police have been training eagles to take drones out of the sky: http://www.wired.com/2016/02/so-dutch-cops-are-teaching-majestic-eagles-to-hunt-drones/

In the article they link to a video.

I've seen similar videos with animals taking an exeption to a drone being in their area, but this is the first I've heard about someone trying to harness their annoyance...

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Drones & Eagles
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 11:03:48 am »
Annoyance.......great descriptive J-Syn.

I'm waiting to see one over my place so I have an excuse to get my gramps 16 ga out.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 11:16:26 am »
Careful Pearly, as long as a drone is not violating FAA rules if you shoot it down you could be on the hook for willful destruction of property.

JacksonCash

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 11:18:29 am »
Besides, it'd be more fun to try to hit it with an arrow.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 11:39:19 am »
Careful Pearly, as long as a drone is not violating FAA rules if you shoot it down you could be on the hook for willful destruction of property.

Try to find it when I'm done with it, then try to prove it was me that did it. I wouldn't care two hoots where they flew them if they didn't have cameras.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 11:45:44 am »
If a camera equipped drone is flying like ten feet up in your yard, then yeah, nail it, but if it's 100ft up 99% of those drone cameras cannot see anything but grass, roof and tree tops at that altitude, they just have a cool landscape view of the neighborhood.

JacksonCash

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 12:03:51 pm »
I've got a lot of interest in drones. Like many things, they are remarkable tools for a lot of uses. The video they can capture makes ariel shots for TV, movies, etc so much cheaper than having a helicopter or crane crew. They can be used in areas that are harmful to people, and a lot of other things I'm sure no one has thought of yet.
I share the concerns of many regarding privacy. I get angry when I hear about some jerk who's flying them over wildfires, which means the firefighting planes can't go out there to do their job.
Every tool has it's use, and right now the methods for managing missuse are not really that great. I see a lot of potential in this, as it gets the offending device out of the area, with out it just falling to the ground, and no one is asking for a backdoor channel into the drone controls or anything like that. As long as the birds can do this safely, I think it's a great idea.

Still want to shoot arrows at drones though.

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2016, 12:06:20 pm »
Hmm, one could hang a target from a larger drone, would be more interesting than pulling a target across a rope, lol.

JacksonCash

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2016, 12:16:48 pm »
Yeah! Now we're getting somewhere...