Author Topic: A question  (Read 1703 times)

Offline DC

A question
« on: January 11, 2016, 04:32:19 pm »
If I make a straight bow that draws, say, 40#@27" and then on a whim decide to reflex it 3". Then I re-tiller it to 40#@27". Have I gained anything?

Offline jeffp51

Re: A question
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 04:41:40 pm »
according to TBBI you have, because the added tension at brace should improve the foce-draw curve--meaning you should be storing more energy as opposed to the straight bow.  The material needs to be up to the added tension, however.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 06:16:26 pm »
You also reduce the physical weight which helps.
 The more reflex you add the more stress added also. If the bow can't handle the extra stress(potential added set) you will come out with negative gain.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 07:15:24 pm »
I asked this because I'm the type of person that thinks that any improvement is worth chasing. Sometimes though, I think myself into a corner. Like this where I could see it going both ways, good or bad. Then I need to ask. That's the nice thing about this group. Years of experience at my fingertips. Thanks

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 08:17:24 pm »
If you think about a design you want to try, try it. If another idea comes finish the first bow and start a new one using the new ideas. You can work a stave to death just trying to make it better.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 09:49:51 pm »
you probably reduced the mass and increased the cast at the same draw,,, but a chrono will tell you for sure,, l would try it just to see,,,

Offline Badger

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 10:07:00 pm »
  As long as the bow holds the added reflex you added you should get a good boost in performance. If the bow took set at it's present dimensions though chances are it will just take more set if reflexed. If it has not taken any set then there is a good chance it will handle more reflex. 

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 01:19:56 pm »
Yeah, you'll gain, but only if the tiller is right and there is enough wood there to take the extra stress without taking set or chrysalling.
If you've done a good job with the bow to start with , you may well find you just end up back where you started.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.