Author Topic: Fixing a twisted/cracked glass bow  (Read 2896 times)

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Fixing a twisted/cracked glass bow
« on: January 12, 2016, 09:58:00 pm »
I had a guy just bring me a fiberglass backed bow to work to see I I could fix it. It's a Shakespeare trident wonder bow. One limb is twisted enough that it won't track straight but stays on the limb. The same limb also has vertical cracking on the back that I assume is the cause of the stress causing the twisting. I didn't know if that was fixable. I told him I would see what I could do. If it wasn't for the cracking I would think that a hair drier and some twisting force could pull it straight by softening te glue a little. The cracks are thin but run about 10" and don't runout the limbs. Do you think it's fixable or junk at this point. If it's junk te guy said I could have it, so it might be scrapped into a takedown riser. And once finished will probably give it back with the new limbs.

Thanks,
Kyle

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
Re: Fixing a twisted/cracked glass bow
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 11:40:15 pm »
Make him a self bow Kyle!  I wouldn't know anything about ft bows.  I hope you can fix it for him
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline chamookman

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 03:55:37 am »
Kyle - Is the warped limb the bottom limb of the bow ? I bet it is - I've seen a bunch of old recurves that looked the same. It comes from being leaned in the corner of a closet for many years. You can try the heat and see if You can help it, but it generally will come back. Good luck. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 05:28:38 am »
Not sure on the crack but the twist you can run hot water over it and torque it in the direction you want and hold it until it cools, that will usually take it out. Over twist it a little bit, but be careful not to do it to hard or it can delaminate . :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 08:12:58 am »
Chamookman, your right it's the borrow limb. I though a little about how to deal with the cracks. I might try filling them with a thin epoxy the. Using periodic wrappings with Kevlar . Since they're verticle cracks is might hold. Pappy I'll have to try the hot water and see how it works. If it works well I'll have to do the same on a recurve my Grampa has had in the basement for years with a twisted limb. And he'll probably be getting a black licust self bow to go with it when it goes home.

Kyle

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 08:22:13 am »
We have a guy in our club that builds a lot of Glass bows and I have seen him do it many times, and it worked great. ;) Hope it works out.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 10:45:33 am »
The crack is fine. Just put some Loctite Super glue in it and sand. The twist can be taken out by holding it under your arm and twisting the bent limb the other direction and holding it for a few minutes a little past center, then string it backwards. You might have to do it a few times to get it straight. Use the hair dryer as a last resort and don't get it too hot. Standing a glass bow in the corner unstrung is about the worst thing you can do to them. I always leave mine strung on a rack, doesn't hurt a thing.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?