Author Topic: New Toy...  (Read 4280 times)

Offline Onebowonder

New Toy...
« on: January 08, 2016, 05:32:00 pm »
A buddy of mine does some welding and he put this together for me.  I just hunted up some pictures online and guessed at the measurements that ought to work.  I'm hoping this makes working rough staves down to manageable bow blanks a bit easier.  I still need to make some wedges for it, and come up with some kind of gripping pads for the bottom of the plate and the floor of the press.

OneBow

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
Re: New Toy...
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 05:40:54 pm »
I recall that missilemaster has made some of these.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 05:52:08 pm »
You will love it.  Cut some small blocks of wood different thicknesses to keep you clamp plate level when you are holding a bow.  I drilled holes and inserted small rare earth magnets on my blocks of wood.  When I'm not using them they stick to the sides of it and I don't lose them.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline JonW

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 05:57:47 pm »
Pretty sweet Eric. I will bring about 50 staves next weekend so you can chase 'em down for me. ;D

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 06:02:18 pm »
Looks good, when i built mine i just cut some old mudflaps and glued them one for the pads
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2016, 06:25:55 pm »
You will love it.  Cut some small blocks of wood different thicknesses to keep you clamp plate level when you are holding a bow.  I drilled holes and inserted small rare earth magnets on my blocks of wood.  When I'm not using them they stick to the sides of it and I don't lose them.

Do you have any pix of how you do this?  That part about inserting small blocks of wood is still uncertain to me.  I've mostly seen these used with rough split staves before, and I am not certain how to make it work with a bow blank once you get to the tillering or details phase of the project. 

...I really like the rare earth magnets idea.  I'm forever misplacing such pieces if I don't have a means to coral them!

OneBow

blackhawk

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2016, 07:11:12 pm »
Looks like your new best friend....youll figure it out..i have shims from half inch to 4" to match the corresponding height of whatever i stick in it to keep the plate level...works really well even with big pie shaped staves when ya chase the ring

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2016, 12:05:12 am »
I don't use mine until I get the bow roughed out.  It's great to use during tillering.  Cody made mine for me.

I have several different thicknesses of spacers.  I stack two of them up if I want to clamp a bow in the thick handle area.  The spacers keep the clamp pad level and reduces the stress on the ball joint area.  I just drilled a hole in them and used epoxy to hold the magnets in.  The little magnets are powerful.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2016, 12:06:48 am »
You can glue leather to the bottom of the vice and the bottom of the clamp plate to keep it from denting the bow.

Offline DavidV

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2016, 12:18:33 am »
I bet that works great Eric, what are you going to mount it to?
Springfield, MO

Offline E. Jensen

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2016, 10:55:36 am »
Great idea!!

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2016, 05:12:19 pm »
I made two of these today. I love them. Thanks for posting this. building two more for my son in KC next weekend.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2016, 06:10:33 pm »
Did Cody make some that clamp to bench/table/etc or were the ones I saw at Marshall attached to 2x and then 2x clamped to table?
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2016, 10:19:03 am »
I bet that works great Eric, what are you going to mount it to?

That is actually a very good question!  I have four holes cut in the bottom of the box steel and had planed to run bolts thru those and then thru the ramp on my bench that I usually put the smaller vice on.  I had also considered mounting this one to the top of a post sunk into the ground in the yard.

However; I'm kinda re-thinking those ideas.  I may need to contrive a swivel plate of some kind to mount the stave press upon as it may be desirable to be able to change the direction of the vice.  I've been 'Imagineering' that all weekend. :)

OneBow

Offline J05H

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2016, 05:48:56 pm »
I got the fancy retail version. I think they work best on a post. That's how mine is mounted. Mine has a pipe welded to the bottom of the box and a separate base plate with a slightly smaller pipe on it. The pipe on the press slides over the pipe on the base plate and a couple of bolts act as set screws to hold it in place. It works pretty well that way.
If you never have time to do it right, you'll always have time to do it over.