Author Topic: Compass Suggestions  (Read 2667 times)

Offline RedBear1313

Compass Suggestions
« on: January 11, 2016, 09:27:44 am »
I didn't see any other area that was just random or miscelaneous talk, so I thought this would be the one.

Anyway, I was just looking for opinions from you guys who have and use compasses during your journeys.

What's a good quality one that isn't crazy expensive? That has all or most of the features I would want for proper map use?
Hold on to what you can't remember, make sense of what you can't decipher.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Compass Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 09:36:27 am »
I've found that any compass I spend more than $20 on works great, less than that and they are junk.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 10:07:11 am »
I use the old army surplus ones, hard to beat them. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 12:01:16 pm »
I'd bet the boy scouts have a reliable compass or try a camping outlet.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 12:25:47 pm »
RedBear 1313....When I was a coonhunting in different states I always kept a Silva brand compass along.Would get 5 miles away from the truck at times fetching dogs.Flat,handy,and reliable.Just go back out of the woods the reverse on the reading dial.Never failed me.Nowadays GPS gadgets are a dime by the dozen out there,but never bought them,but now if you go into a very remote type wilderness like Alaska or something of that order it's pretty reassuring to have a GPS with ya.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 12:31:49 pm »
I'd carry a compass as a back up to a GPS.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Zuma

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 01:27:25 pm »
My dad was a Navy navigator. He was always about the points of the compass and sextons.
I used the sun and stars while hunting but got lost one night in deep woods coon hunting.
 (clouds , rain and a porcupine). We were also out of range of any yappy house dogs and
 aircraft patterns. My brother and I bought compasses the next morning when we got out
 of the woods. I never used mine. lol  Moss and trying to walk in a straight line don't work.
 You always circle. So I guess any compass is better than none.
Batteries are an issue with GPS.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2016, 02:39:50 pm »
I have had a Silva Explorer Type 3 for a lot of years. I got it at a discount store in 97. It has been with me on every trek into the field. I have used it a lot for just checking out things on maps and several times it has got me to camp instead of having to spend the night out in the woods and worrying family or friends.

Offline E. Jensen

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2016, 04:25:19 pm »
Silva Ranger

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2016, 05:02:27 pm »
I helped a couple of guys track a wounded deer in a pine thicket on a moonless night one time, we zigged, zagged and circled over and over on the trail. After several hours we decided it was a lost cause, I asked them which way was "out", they didn't have a clue.

I always carry a compass in unknown territory, I knew we were west of the main road so I took a compass heading and led them through hills and hollows back the way I thought we should go. After a particularly long trek they were doubting my navigational skills, even I was doubting the compass reading myself just before we broke out of the thicket onto the main road.

Yep, I carry a compass.

Offline bow101

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2016, 06:29:04 pm »
Got laost a couple times in the bush.  The first I was quite young venturing in the toolies with another friend,  we got lost and he literally freaked out and started balling.  Been the older kid I had my marbles together so to speak. We walked along a creek and I told him that creeks eventually lead somewhere and having known the area I knew by the sun position that we were heading the same way we came in.  1  1/2 hours later we reached the bushes edge.  That is the second time I used the sun as a navigation point.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2016, 06:44:10 pm »
Dad gave me a Silva when I was just a kid, had the official Boy Scout emblem on the back, I have carried it for over 40 yrs always afraid of losing it, always got me out. I found a brand new looking one of the exact same type as Dad gave me all those yrs. ago. I think I gave a guy .50 cents at the flea market, a lot cheaper than what Dad gave for it 40+ ago. Bob

Offline aaron

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2016, 09:59:46 pm »
good suggestions above- no need to spend more than 50 or less than 20. For me, one feature that is important is adjustable declination as I live in an area that has 17 degrees dec.. I use something like a silva polaris
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"