Author Topic: Chinese elm dimensions/advice??  (Read 2684 times)

Offline knapperboy

Chinese elm dimensions/advice??
« on: January 09, 2016, 08:05:32 pm »
Hey guys, does anyone have any experience with Chinese elm? I have a large log ready to be split when I have the time, but what should I do after that? Does elm need to be brought down a few growth rings to work or do I just need to take off the bark? Also what dimensions do I need? And can I leave it un-backed? Any help is appreciated  ;D
Thanks!

Offline E. Jensen

Re: Chinese elm dimensions/advice??
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2016, 09:47:24 pm »
I'm working on a few myself.  Just strip the bark and you're good, no need to back.  I've read good things about elm.  I made one a while back from a sapling, ~50#, narrow D style. 

The only thing I'd say to be wary of is elm likes to form spiral grain so make double sure you're following it when laying out the bow.  Even following it carefully, I've had a few strokes with the drawknife pull up grain that wanted to travel into my outline.  Thankfully I outlined a little oversize.

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2016, 09:50:05 pm »
Chinese elm is about the strongest of all the elms. Just a little bit wider than osage should work fine. The wood right under the bark will work fine. One of my favorite white woods.

Offline E. Jensen

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2016, 09:53:58 pm »
Correction, I've been working with Siberian elm, often times incorrectly referred to as Chinese elm.  Two different species.  Dunno what you've got though.

Offline knapperboy

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2016, 11:14:48 pm »
From what I've gathered in books and such I have Chinese elm, but since there is no leaves to show you I guess my word is all I've got haha. It grows all over where I live in northwestern Colorado and many people actually want to get rid of it out of their yards and along fence lines. If it works out I'll have plenty! I plan on making a flat bow with a non working handle. I think my stave will turn out at about 65" so it should accommodate my 28" draw... if I'm right  :-\

I've tried some peices in the past but always tried to remove a growth ring or two which I think was my mistake.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 11:26:40 pm by knapperboy »

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2016, 12:28:54 am »
I bet you have Siberian elm.  I have been having fungus issues with mine.

Offline knapperboy

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2016, 12:40:48 am »
How so? If I strip the bark and season it now do you think it will benefit? I cut it earlier this week. Will siberian elm still make a shooter?

Offline Badger

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2016, 06:24:48 am »
  Siberian elm is junk wood. It will make a bow but I wouldn't fool with it.

Offline E. Jensen

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2016, 06:29:36 am »
The one I made was quite nice.   But it was just that one.   Definite take the bark off.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2016, 07:47:26 am »
Lots of different elm out there.Almost need the leaves to identify on some.Some are smooth,some are rough.It's interlocking grain makes it tend to tear up with the draw knife occasionaly.Farriers' rasp and sand paper cures that.My red elm here makes marginal ok bows here.Splitting a log more easily is best done when it's about 0 degrees or colder.The colder the easier.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline knapperboy

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2016, 11:48:32 pm »
Hopefully I have time to split it tomorrow (depending on how bad my workout is I might not be able to swing the hammer!) Hopefully I can get something out of it!