Author Topic: osage conservation  (Read 4095 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: osage conservation
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2015, 10:58:11 pm »
I know in this part of the country in southern Iowa and northern Missouri the deer,squirrels and maybe birds will eat them after they've been froze.Later in the winter.Like turnips they need to be froze to release the sugar in them and not make them so bitter.They get transplanted here through their scat.They come up voluntarily all over pastures that are  unkept.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Parnell

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2015, 07:57:27 am »
Steve, put the balls in a bucket of water over winter. In the spring pour the mush in a shallow trench. Next fall dig up and transplant the seedlings. It helps is the seeds get enough cold to come out of dormancy and I'm not sure Fla has enough cold to do this.

There is no way they'd grow in zone 10, Pat.  I'm thinking I'll plant a bunch in Ohio on my bro-in-laws new place.  He's got a nice 10 acre spread.  When I was hunting in TN the other week the apples were all over the ground.  I'm thinking I'll ask my buddy Cody Scott to mail some of them over to Sean's house.  We're heading there the day after Christmas for a week.

The other thing I'm really considering getting them for Christmas are some of the reintroduced American Chestnut tree saplings that are now on the market that have been genetically reproduced and made fungus resistant.  Everyone on the Eastern seaboard should be reintroducing them.  I should start a thread for that...

Thanks.
1’—>1’

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2015, 08:08:11 am »
I set out 10 American chestnuts a few years back in a nursery bed for a year until they developed somewhat. The next spring when I was ready for the final transplant I found that voles had eaten the roots off all of them.   >:(   I need to try it again.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Zuma

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2015, 01:48:49 pm »

The other thing I'm really considering getting them for Christmas are some of the reintroduced American Chestnut tree saplings that are now on the market that have been genetically reproduced and made fungus resistant.  Everyone on the Eastern seaboard should be reintroducing them.  I should start a thread for that...

Thanks.
That's great news. I'll have to check that out. A little to late for me
but the kids could enjoy them.
I find quite a few growing out of old stumps in the mountains
but they never mature.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline darinputman

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2015, 07:15:50 pm »
I planted a few in 16 inch root trainers back in the spring, if I can get them through the winter plan on planting this year. Got persimmon, osage, saw tooth oak, Paw paw and american chesnut. Hopefully with a little work all will go well.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2015, 08:01:28 pm »
Good for you darin pass it forward....... there will be many people enjoy those trees for years to come.....
Thank you,
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2015, 07:03:46 am »
I have seen them take over thousand of acres along the Ohio River.
I gots some apples down in the creek already for planting.
Want to pay the shipping?
Zuma

I would just like to know where the thousand acres is???
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2015, 07:52:23 am »
nclonghunter.....I know it's hard to imagine but if you come over to southern Iowa you would see a thousand acres covered with osage and of course the perverbial thorn tree...the honey locust.It's along fencelines for hundreds of miles here too.That's why they call it hedge around here.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2015, 10:47:34 am »
Well shoot, sounds like some of you have a real Osage infestation problem. Please let some of us help you dispose of the waste wood. I can sacrifice and make space for some of it. ;D

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2015, 06:11:30 pm »
I've got two growing in my front yard, one over six feet tall and, last I checked I still live in Zone 10.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2015, 07:40:30 pm »
I am going to get some of those American Chesnuts.
Did not know they were on the open market.

If they start to make nuts before I get to old to get around.....
They will be planted on the side of every ridge around here.

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2015, 11:36:45 pm »
Ooops, Guess I'm in Zone 9A. Steve, all you have to do is put them in the freezer for a little bit. I've germinated them pretty easy down here.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?