Author Topic: Linen vs silk for yew  (Read 3104 times)

Offline poplar600

Linen vs silk for yew
« on: November 23, 2015, 09:17:15 pm »
Which would you prefer? Linen or silk to back a yew ELB? Hear linen doesn't stretch too good, and puts a lot of work onto the belly.

I have a 1/4 inch sap back, but adding a backing for safety as it's going to be between 80-90lb.

:)

bownarra

Re: Linen vs silk for yew
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 03:36:25 am »
And it looks a bit rough and ready....silk will look much better.

Offline WillS

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 04:22:03 am »
You have 1/4" of good sapwood, and you're going to add a backing for a light bow?  Why? 

Why bother, when less than 1/8" of sapwood can support 75" long bows over 160lb?  Is the sapwood rotten or damaged?

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 04:34:14 am »
+1
IMO. No need to back unless the sap wood has really severe problems, like BIG knots through it, rot or cracks/shakes.
Even then a Yew sapwood patch will generally make a good fix.
If you really want to back it, just go with what you have readily available.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline poplar600

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 10:54:20 am »
+1
IMO. No need to back unless the sap wood has really severe problems, like BIG knots through it, rot or cracks/shakes.
Even then a Yew sapwood patch will generally make a good fix.
If you really want to back it, just go with what you have readily available.
Del

The yew is low rpi, and I have violated growth rings along the back. I had to get the sap down to a reasonable thickness and wasn't able to shoot for a single ring. Sorted out as much as I can, but still quite a few violations here and there.

Offline WillS

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 11:03:01 am »
You won't need to back it.  Yew can withstand violations up to pretty severe levels.  The MR bows all have violated sapwood rings all over the place, and they're a damn sight heavier (and shorter) than what you're making.

This is over 100lb at 32", and is only 75" long.  No need for backing even with splits like this running all the way through the bow from back to belly, including right through a set of pin knots. 

Be brave!

Offline poplar600

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 11:07:32 am »
Yes, that is what mine looks like. Pins and violations everywhere.

Offline WillS

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2015, 12:33:58 pm »
Sometimes you have to do that to yew.  It's not recommended, but if you need to then it's not usually a problem.  Certainly doesn't need to be backed with anything else.

Offline poplar600

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2015, 05:12:32 pm »
In some places the back is violated around 3 rings deep. In other places it is feathered.

I've left lots of extra wood around knots and pins. My only concern is that this yew is low rpi, so the rings are a bit more pronounced. Easy enough to chase, I just made mistakes when taking it all down in go with a rasp. Some areas are chased, other areas can't be chased due to running out of sapwood.

Offline Hamish

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2015, 06:21:28 pm »
If you are going to back it at least use rawhide. It will look a hell of a lot better and will give better protection than linen or silk.

Offline PatM

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2015, 06:26:47 pm »
Rawhide is a much better choice for ease of application and it's a good match for the wood.

Offline poplar600

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2015, 08:02:27 pm »
If you don't need to chase a growth ring on yew, then I may not back it.

Offline Sparky Buckwheat

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2015, 01:15:45 pm »
If you had to back it, use a clear silk noil with epoxy ( I use G2 from system three). The silk turns clear. However, yew sapwood is very capable of handling growth ring violations. I have a yew stave that has a violation right through the sapwood layer due to a pin knot near the tip and it has shot hundreds of arrows without a problem! I would leave it as is. Good luck with your bow!

Offline DC

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2015, 07:21:31 pm »
In some places the back is violated around 3 rings deep. In other places it is feathered.

I would feather those areas

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2015, 07:59:37 pm »
if you want to back it.. it wont hurt it :)