Author Topic: First time out  (Read 5106 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Re: First time out
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2015, 11:56:26 am »
Stay safe climbing those trees!

Wise words from a hero in a half shell  ;D
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2015, 02:39:55 pm »
Congrats to both of you.thats one hellova first time out. Glad to hear u joined the ranks, seriously thought u were a seasoned vet. After that encounter your a vet now. Great story and happy future hunts.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2015, 03:14:15 pm »
Way to go Paul....Sounds like a great hunt...I've had more of those hunts than the ones that end with a harvest. They can sure make you feel as good.  It's what keeps me going trip after trip.

My 86 yr old father in law missed a big one with a rifle this weekend and he has been hunting for years, so don't feel too bad and get back out there after them.....

Greg, all I can say is.... what'a friend!!!!  You did good buddy.  But since you were hunting public grounds I'm not sure you will get a  chance at that one, I think Paul may beat you to it now.... :) ;)

Again Congrats to both of you....especially you Paul!!
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2015, 05:14:16 am »
I almost did not read this thread. I have not got a shot with the bow this year and I am getting a little frustrated reading all the happy stories of folks deer. Boy am I glad I read this! All of you are to be congratulated. Way to go. I could not be happier for the hunters in this story. Thanks for sharing.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2015, 06:32:43 am »
Great story and an amazing experience! I've seen so many people on their first hunt get frustrated with not seeing anything or spooking deer before they even have a shot. I wish I could have been there too see that from Gregs point of view. That's a hunting story I would be happy to hear over and over.
Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Blackcoyote

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2015, 02:44:21 pm »
Stay safe climbing those trees!

Wise words from a hero in a half shell  ;D

Heck yeah, the Ninja turtles needed another one with a BOW!!!   >:D

Sorry Knocker, didn't mean to get off track on your thread!
Drew - St. Johns, Michigan

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2015, 07:23:29 pm »
No worries Drew. I probably spend 75% of my time at work in a harness and I've learn to love and hate them. They always seem to get in your way when you least need it. I've also seen guys hanging from them and I know what the alternative is. Getting some bumps and bruises from hanging is way better than hitting the ground.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2015, 09:01:32 am »
What an awesome post!  Neither of you will ever forget that day if you live to be a hundred.  Some of the best hunts that I have ever been on did not end with a kill.  Just being that close to a trophy of that caliber puts you in an elite minority group of hunters.  Hat's off to Greg for helping you into this whole other addiction!  Like was mentioned above, that rush never goes away.  I have been hunting since I was six and forty-five years later it still dumps adrenalin and makes the heart pound.  Monday morning I was on the ground in real close cover and a little runt of a doe poked her nose out of some pine saplings eight steps in front of me and it was all I could do to keep it together.  The shot never happened but it was a great hunt.  I walk away from an experience like that thinking "Oh well, I counted coup on that one today".  I don't think a rifle hunter gets that same sort of satisfaction.  I consider a hunt a complete success if I have deer within selfbow range and they leave without blowing at me - then i have done my job.  Meat is just a bonus to me.  Congratulations to both of you - awesome hunting story.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline bubby

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2015, 01:54:30 pm »
Hell of a first hunt Pauly, that's almost as good as it gets heck I've been hunting a long time and that feeling never gets old
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹