Author Topic: hickory backed osage board bow question  (Read 2114 times)

Offline Oak Walker

hickory backed osage board bow question
« on: November 18, 2015, 10:16:04 am »
I have a few really nice osage boards that I would like to try my hand at bow making with. I'm going heat bend in a form to straighten and reflex/deflex. My question is do I glue on hickory backing before or after heat bending and clamping osage board. Sorry for a probably obvious question but I'm a new hand at this and just want to stack the odds in my favor for making a functional bow. Thanks. O.W.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: hickory backed osage board bow question
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 11:03:32 am »
Heat shape, then glue up. You don't want your glue getting that hot. Most will hold, some wont, and its simply not worth the risk if you have other avenues.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 11:21:17 am »
Why do you need to straighten a board  ??? You should be able to induce the shape you want at glue up..unless you want recurves on it preheating isnt necessary

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 11:24:26 am »
I've not done a R/D from a board but I have done reflexed hickory backed osage board bows. It's a great combo.  After you shape your belly on the form with heat use the same form for your glue-up. I think I'd heat form the hickory too but separately.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 12:24:24 pm »
I'm with blackhawk an r/d you should be able to get the profile you want at glue up, also an r/d ain't the easiest bow to tiller if its your first, hell i still have trouble with that style bow, just thin your belly wood down go like 3/8" thick at the tips to 5/8" at the fades and it should flex enough to glue up
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Oak Walker

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 01:35:37 pm »
OK thanks guys, that helps a lot. The only reason I thought I might have to heat and shape was to straighten the boards, some of them are not perfectly straight end to end.

Offline ccase39

• Loving to learn
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2015, 04:08:46 pm »
I found this link to be a great recource

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=6916.0

You can just disregard the tri lam part. He's got measurements to a non tri lam bow in there.
I have made two following that build along that are turning out nice. I still need to tweak the tiller but I'll get them there.

Also like this one.

http://poorfolkbows.com/ipe1.htm

« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 06:13:11 pm by ccase39 »
Reading
The Traditional Boyers Bible Vol 1
The Bent Stick

Working on bow #7