Author Topic: Which way to put arrow on the string.  (Read 2428 times)

Offline MXer

Which way to put arrow on the string.
« on: November 14, 2015, 04:34:45 pm »
What I mean is... Where are the vanes or feathers in relation to the string.  ....and do they differ on a arrow shelf bow versus one that does not have one.  I sort of experimented with both ways.  One way gives to much arrow "wag" side to side when leaving the bow.  The other gives more of an up and down, but seems to come off better and straighter, therefore more accurate for me.  I'm very new at shooting long bows. 

Offline PatM

Re: Which way to put arrow on the string.
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 04:50:53 pm »
In a properly spined arrow it doesn't actually matter. Normally people go with two feathers against the bow, one to the outside.

Offline jayman448

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 05:18:22 pm »
Ive seen the cock feather straight out, straight in, or straight up. Ive one buddy claims a specific bow of his shoots better with cock feather in

Offline willie

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2015, 05:37:19 pm »
it might be the arrows more than the bow with your buddy bow, but what ever works best might be better than whats supposed to be.

have you tried heating the nock glue and rotating the nock to different positions? I have never heard of tuning that way, but it could be a variable of last resort to try when conventional tuning fails. If you have a not so normal arrow or arrow rest, try anything

Offline Archer Bunta

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 02:12:09 pm »
I shoot mine with 2 in and 1 out. The reason for me is that if I reverse it (1 in 2 out) the inside fletching will actually whip against bow as it leaves thus destroying the fletching. By switching it around I don't get this effect.

Ruddy Darter

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 02:40:48 pm »
Here In the U.K. when someone makes a hash of something or a mistake it's often called a "cock up"( I.E. buying a V.W diesel car and expecting lower toxic emmisions :D), a saying that's been around for many years, many attribute its origin from the old English longbow when an arrow was nocked with the cock feather facing the bow, causing the arrow to fly erratically and damage the fletching.  ;D ( I guess this would be more evident with English longbows and warbows as the arrows are often spined a little stiffer for distance and not so much for accuracy.)
The cleaner loose and up and down effect with your arrow we call porpoiseing ( as in dolphin swimming) and usually means your nock point on the string is a little high ( or maybe one limb of the bow is working more than the other?), too low it hits your hand or smacks the arrow shelf, whatever it is shot off.

Ruddy Darter.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 03:50:00 pm by Ruddy Darter »

riverrat

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2015, 09:14:59 pm »
thanks Ruddy Darter, you cleared something up for me with the porpoising.im going to have to mark my nocking point on my string.once in the while i have that happen and i didnt know why. till now.thanks Tony

Ruddy Darter

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2015, 09:20:36 pm »
You're welcome Tony,

I find 1/4" up  measured square in relation to the arrow pass) or there abouts works fine for me.

Ruddy Darter.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 02:51:13 am by Ruddy Darter »