Author Topic: Offset  (Read 2078 times)

Offline DC

Offset
« on: November 03, 2015, 12:03:33 pm »
How much offset should I use for a 5" fletch?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Offset
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 12:42:55 pm »
Do you mean for a straight fletch?  If so, only slightly is necessary. The arrow will spin with no offset because of the texture of the feathers so not much is needed.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 01:11:33 pm »
Yes, for a straight fletch. Is slightly about 1/16". I'm just wondering what most people do. I've been using straight with no offset. I was trying to put a little offset in and if i use too much it looks like the fletch will sort of lift off the shaft at one end. I did a search and all the answers came back in 1 or 2 degrees of offset. I'm having a tough time thinking in degrees. I did a little arithmetic(I'm not smart enough to use math) and came up with one degree being about .09". That seemed like a bit much so I thought I'd check here.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 01:19:22 pm »
I have a JoJan Multifletch straight fletch jig and can slightly offset the fletching. I do a dry run(without glue) to see how to adjust the forward holder and the rear holder just slightly so feather lays on the shaft and adjust it accordingly. I don't use measurements. to get
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 02:56:19 pm »
Thanks Pat

Offline bow101

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 04:36:02 pm »
From what I understand Helical feltching helps with Archers paradox.  ???

« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 06:30:49 pm by bow101 »
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2015, 04:40:56 pm »
I doubt that the fletching affects archers paradox. Once the arrow is away from the bow the fletching straightens out the flight.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2015, 06:36:07 pm »
Drag (larger fletching, helical fletch) or weight on the back end of the arrow stiffens spine....therefore effects flight.  every shot arrow has archers paradox, the quicker you get it under control, the better the flight.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2015, 04:57:06 pm »
Id like to add that too much helical equals too much drag however.  I have made that mistake before.
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline stickbender

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2015, 12:53:19 am »

You can just draw a straight line for each fletch placement, and then move one end a tad, and guesstimate at the measurement.  Just eyeball it, but the line will give a base to go from.  Use a pencil, and then erase the little bit that is exposed, if it bothers you.  Try a little bit over, and shoot it to see if it affects the arrow, in a good way, or bad, and adjust it till you find the magic spacing.  Just a thought. ;)

Wayne