Author Topic: What is your opinion?  (Read 2420 times)

Offline OTDEAN

What is your opinion?
« on: November 05, 2015, 09:05:24 am »
When making bows I often have one limb more reflexed or deflexed than the other.  I use heat and level them up before tillering or sometimes I just leave them and tiller them to get both bending equally.  When I leave one more reflexed than the other before tillering begins I normally just weaken the more reflexed limb until it bends enough to be equal with the other.  Of course this weakens the more reflexed limb but I have found that this does not really matter.  What is your opinion on this?

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: What is your opinion?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 09:19:22 am »
I used to just leave them and tillered them so they bent the same. That means the deflexed limb bent less than than the reflexed one. I would put the more reflexed limb on the bottom.

I don't think that was good. I should have tillered the both limbs to bend the same amount.
But that would have thrown of the appearance off the tiller at full draw even though it was better for the bow.

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline OTDEAN

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 09:26:22 am »
Thanks Jawge.

Online Selfbowman

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 09:39:42 am »
I don't do this . I heat the limbs to get them as equal as possible. I think not straightening them adds shock. The limbs need to come to rest at the same time with equal mass traveling at the same time. Just my oppinion . They will work either way . Just one will shoot better.  Arvin
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 09:46:28 am by Selfbowman »
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2015, 09:40:40 am »
I prefer to make both limb equal then begin tillering. I don't know if that is a good way to go or not but it makes it easier for me to see good tiller early on.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2015, 09:45:37 am »
I prefer to make both limb equal then begin tillering. I don't know if that is a good way to go or not but it makes it easier for me to see good tiller early on.

+1

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2015, 11:44:39 am »
  I agree with Jawge, in that if you are gonna do it, do it like that.   However, my tillering eye isn't that good, so I usually fix it first.  The stave can wander all over side to side, but front to back I really need to start with each limb pretty symmetrical.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2015, 01:38:33 pm »
Lol. My eyed are not what they used to be; now I put some reflex in that deflex too.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 05:05:33 pm by George Tsoukalas »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2015, 01:59:29 pm »
A lot easier to read tiller when limbs are nearly the same.
It's possible to get a good shooting bow from un even limbs, but it's pretty tough

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2015, 05:23:53 pm »
I would usually just tiller it so it looked good a full draw,, I did notice that the limb with reflex would move a little bit a become the weaker limb in time,, so I usually would put it on the top if possible,, many was to skin this cat I am sure,, usually had no problem getting the bow to shoot,, if the full draw tiller was on,, at brace it might not look like the classic positive tiller we like to see,, if the arrow flight was perfect to my eye,, I was happy,, :)

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2015, 02:35:34 pm »
Sometimes, just for the sake of aestetics, I'll make them look the same unbraced by heating and bending, and other times I just make the bow the way it grew.

They way I tiller and time the limbs relative to my holds on bow and string, it doesn't matter if the the limb's profiles are moderately different unstrung. In fact, building such oddly shaped bows so they too are every bit as perfectly balanced during the draw is what lets me know I'm on the right track with relative limb balance. One of the things I appreciate most about the method I employ is... the entire process, references and gauges used during construction are exactly the same whether the bow's limbs are identical or not, and the results are the same... a well tillered and harmonized bow. Handshock comes more from limbs that are not balanced relative to the shooter than from limbs that aren't identical in their side profiles.

In order for their limbs to be synchronized with each other and balanced relative to the archer's holds, some bows SHOULD be abnormal looking at brace and/or full draw. And to make them look like we WANT them to, instead of how they NEED to, isn't best .

This is why I strongly disagree with the popular notion that bows should look a certain way at brace, like slightly positive tiller for instance. That's betting a bow's performance on a guess and assumptions. Most of our staves and bows have disparities between the limbs, some we can see and some we can't, some that reveal themselves later in the draw, yet most folks tiller all their bows to the same profile at brace. Doesn't that seem odd?  ???

IMO, they shouldn't be tillered to LOOK a certain way, they should be tillered to ACT a certain way, with ideal effects on the arrow and archer... and common sense says in order for them to ACT the same, in the end, many of them should end up looking quite different.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2015, 03:04:33 pm »
Sometimes I balance the side profile out.
It is easier to tiller and the profiles are looking in line, a sort of aesthetic

Sometimes I do not
For example on pronounced character staves. Can be a mess to tiller. Trick: The amount ot limb movement can be measured with the bow clamped in a vice at the handle and a weight hanging from a tip, measure the movement. then same procedure for the other limb.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany