Author Topic: Ocean spray on steroids  (Read 2089 times)

Offline Tracker0721

Ocean spray on steroids
« on: November 01, 2015, 01:05:23 am »
So I found some ocean spray that seems quite wide. As in my iPhone 4s is about as long as it is wide. That's pretty uncommon I take it? Most big ones I find are just over 2". Should I chop these 2"ers and mega tree down and get em drying or is 3-4" better and 2" is no good? I've only been looking for arrows and just happened to notice all these hopefully bow trees.

Pictures tomorrow!
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline DC

Re: Ocean spray on steroids
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2015, 01:52:46 am »
1 1/2 to 2" is about what I get.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2015, 02:41:29 am »
Wow, that's big. I found some big ocean spray this year, though not that big. I cut them and I'm seasoning them now. Good luck drying them out without major checking. First thing I tried was sealing every square inch with glue and then wrapping them in saranwrap with slits cut into it. Started growing a little mold so my plan B was to bandsaw them down the middle and reseal them. So far so good. I don't have any checks. Nice thing about big oceanspray is that you can split it at the pith to reduce checking and still have it be thick enough for a stiff handle.

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2015, 10:40:32 am »
I'll have to look up how to work ocean spray for a bow. I fought into the bottom of the tangle and the tree gets it's width from a couple branches growing under the bark all the way up. If they've molded together it's make a cool looking bow!
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline Tree_Ninja

• Clandestine Bow-ops
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2015, 11:16:26 am »
So far I have found a few 4 " oceanspray. Typically around here at that size they have issues.
I think a 2" oceanspray with no or little taper and no knots or curves is premium.
Ive found huge oceanspray 5" with crazy deflex and knots, but I work in the forest all day.
Glue and saran wrap is required. 6" up from the cut. I also cut above the knots (when near the top and bottom ) and leave the knots on when drying, they help stop checking into the usuable stave.  You can check on an OS stave everyday for 3 months and have no issues. Then at 6 months you can find a check.....grrrŕ.

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2015, 11:22:12 am »
Well maybe I'll let this one keep growing, it's right at the end of a little clearing and looks perfect in there. I have tons of 2" straight as arrows pieces. So ya cut em, dip the cut ends in glue then wrap serane wrap around the ends too? Or wrap the whole stave up? What's the usual dry time on them?

Offline Tree_Ninja

• Clandestine Bow-ops
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2015, 11:41:00 am »
I just wrap the ends. You can dip or paint on glue. Two coats is good ( I water down the wood glue, I used the end bits of a few different types of wood glue tb3, armor coat etc)  .

A year minimum  for drying. I've ruined a few staves by being impatient. You might need to ruin a few for yourself before you can truly appreciate the disappointment. Write the date of harvest on the stave.

If you have a small scrap peice of OS., debark it and  watch it rip itself apart...
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 11:45:37 am by Tree_Ninja »

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2015, 01:40:01 pm »
I debark mine and shellac(2 coats) the back and any end grain. I cut them to the pith full length except for the handle area, I leave it full round. I've never had it check if it's cut to the pith. If it's big enough(rare) I split it full length. Lately I've been putting them in a plastic tube to slow down the drying.  I leave the ends open and punch a few holes in it. It seems to be working.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2015, 05:37:15 pm »
Guys here got the right idea.
I seal the ends and also any pin knots, it can check out of anything that isn't solid wood.
I've had "good" luck leaving my handle whole, and removing belly wood to the pith.
If I do this I'll seal the handle area and fades as well. 
It still takes a year to dry fully.

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2015, 06:32:40 pm »
At least a year, I think longer is better if convenient.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2015, 07:16:37 pm »
ya, a year minimum. OS seems to hold moisture very deep