Author Topic: Can you over heat with steam?  (Read 2178 times)

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Can you over heat with steam?
« on: November 03, 2015, 10:09:32 am »
While steaming a recurve hook on black locust this morning I got to thinking, is it possible to over steam a piece of wood? Or more along the lines of it you can get the steam too hot and damage the wood.
But the first hook was fairly successful. Only a couple of shallow splinters on each corner. I consider that a success for a sharp recurve, hopefully it stays put when i pull the clamps and that the other side goes well. I'll find out this evening when I get off work.

Kyle

Offline PatM

Re: Can you over heat with steam?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 10:11:19 am »
It only gets so hot. ;) It's duration of heat that causes potential damage.

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 10:24:49 am »
Only if you boil away all the water. I let that happen once. Cooked an osage bow well done. It was toast.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 11:25:16 am »
Steam only get to 212deg(F) unless under pressure. The water vapor will protect the wood from scorching.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 11:25:31 am »
Like the Pats says, it only gets so hot. Depending on your altitude you won't get much more than 210 degrees. I have read that if you steam too long the moisture swells the wood cells making it harder to bend. At the same time I've read that steaming dries the wood. What are you going to believe? I steam stuff 45- 60 minutes because that's how much water my steamer holds :D

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 11:45:47 am »
As said the heat is what it is, over exposure can and will cause issues.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2015, 12:01:30 pm »
That's what I was thinking that it couldn't get hot enough without being under pressure. I knew it could get up over 1k degrees if under lots of pressure. It wasn't anything I truly worried about but was curious on. But it's good to know. Now I wonder I pressurized and super heated steam can burn wood. Just some of the random thoughts that pop up while heating a bow.
I have had steam dry out an osage that I bent that I forgot to grease before I satarted steaming. I steam by wrapping with a wet towel and foil. So ye wood soaked up the moisture then when I removed the foil the boiling water quickly evaporated out and left lots of little drying checks every where in the bend area. I steamed for 50 minutes and with the aid of the heat gun the locust was like rubber and only raised splinters where I didn't round the corners enough.

Kyle

Offline OTDEAN

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2015, 03:40:41 pm »
I stopped steaming stuff, dry heat works well enough. 

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2015, 04:02:45 pm »
I've been wondering if the steam itself has anything to do with the bending or if it's just a convenient way of limiting the temperature. Maybe a little oven that peaked out at say 250-275 degrees might be a good compromise. No mess and not much danger of smoking your prized stave. No stains on the wood either.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2015, 04:26:49 pm »
Steam prevents the wood from drying out too much. I usually use dry heat but the next recurves I build I will use steam to bend them.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2015, 04:50:27 pm »
Once I get a boil on I put anything at  or past rough stage over the pot with a wet rag cover for fifteen minutes and do the whole bend in one go. Great for recurves or heavy inner limb/grip deflex.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2015, 04:53:09 pm »
I feel like the steam also give the wood a chance to be a fairly uniform temperature throughout without much chance of scorching the outside before the inside is ready to bend. For ye shallower flipped tips and lateral movements I've been using dry heat with good results. But when I've been going for near 90* bends for the hooks I've been steaming and using the heat gun to keep the wood hot while bending it around the form. So far it's worked well with minimal splintering.

Kyle

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2015, 06:06:32 pm »
I feel like the steam also give the wood a chance to be a fairly uniform temperature throughout without much chance of scorching the outside before the inside is ready to bend. For ye shallower flipped tips and lateral movements I've been using dry heat with good results. But when I've been going for near 90* bends for the hooks I've been steaming and using the heat gun to keep the wood hot while bending it around the form. So far it's worked well with minimal splintering.

Kyle
Kyle,
I think your right on with your comments......I've used more dry heat than steaming but I think it's because of convenience, but whenever I make big bends I use steam.  no chance of over heating and if you steam for an hour the temp is through out the thickness for a nice consistent bend. Kyle, Well said IMO..........
DBar
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 06:22:01 pm by Danzn Bar »
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2015, 06:26:03 pm »
To answer the original question "can you over heat with steam?
Answer.....No you can not.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline alcot

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2015, 10:41:10 pm »
I remember an old post or  build along where the bowyer steams for five minutes and no more.  Said 212 is steam temp whether its five minutes or fifty. Wood gets too hot to touch. Made sense to me and  I've tried it and it seems to work fine.