Author Topic: Indian bows: Why such low brace height?  (Read 14479 times)

John32r

Re: Indian bows: Why such low brace height?
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2015, 12:19:45 pm »
If you look at this photo you can see a bow left with the string on to the left

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/5d/c9/86/5dc986e6981e7da4ad6102836061956f.jpg

The Yuma Indians are described as keeping their bows constantly strung:

https://books.google.com/books?id=A9B__cVObh4C&pg=PA35

I think that while Indians probably did unstring their bows, the time for which they were strung was much longer than modern bowyering standards. A hunt may take 8-10 hours during which the bow might be strung the entire time.

Offline sumpitan

« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2015, 12:56:25 pm »
Based on the original question, I thought we were discussing Plains Indians, or at least the NA of Western North America, not the uttermost reaches of South America, but hey, it's all good!

Photos are always a bit specious, since there is no way to know how much setting up was involved, then as now. Strung bows look much better,  or are simply much more identifiable than unstrung ones. When it comes to the Selknam in your first photo, the definitive ethnography by Lucas Bridges (who grew up and lived among the Selknam at the turn of the century) specifies that the bowstring was carried inside a bladder bag and put to the bow at the last moment, to protect it from the wet weather that made it useless. The extremely unpredictable and wet climate of Tierra del Fuego had an effect here.

I have studied a set of Selknam bow, arrows and quiver (fascinating stuff), and the upper end of the sinew bowstring had a running noose, easily separated from the nock, plus clear wear on the string end over some distance, most easily explained by repeated stringing and unstringing of the bow.

Always-strung bows can be found, for instance, in the Amazonas, where extremely low brace heights and extremely long bows are common.

Back to North America, the Yuma are a special case, using intentionally deflexed willow & cottonwood bows that are under no strain when strung.  Even then, a Yuman speaking Paipai elder kept his willow bows lightly strung when not in use and tightened the string before using the bow, as described by Paul Campbell (1999).

8 - 10 hours of continuous strung time is no biggie even these days. I'm often out in the woods that long, strung bow in hand, as is every hunting / 3D-shooting archer I know.

Tuukka

« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 01:28:33 pm by sumpitan »

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2015, 01:53:36 pm »
An intentionally deflexed bow was certainly in line with what I was talking about re. purposeful string follow, and low brace height for native bows. Not all bows.

Just as I don't believe that all bows used cases, and all bows were unstrung all of the time when not actively being used.

Which would lead to the possibility (not certainty) that.

1.) cases do not exist for some styles of bows
2.) bows with cases didn't always spend their lives in cases
3.) bows with or without cases of suitable type (per above) may have spent extended periods strung

I don't pretend to know whether over the past several thousand years some native bow types or individual bows spent extended  periods strung, but I do suggest that it is a possibility that bows, of the right form, could pose an advantage if they were. And low brace height would certainly be useful to achieve it.
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline Traxx

« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2015, 01:26:25 am »
This is a subject i have pondered in the past as well.Other than the reasons previously discussed,there is another aspect to consider.The deflexed tips combined with a low brace height,results in a softer early draw,which is easier to hold and draw with a pinch or augmented pinch type grip,while riding an equine over uneven terrain.Easier to hold at partial draw and quickly come to full weight at a full short draw and a quick snap shot. Try it sometime,youll see what i mean.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2015, 01:29:48 am »
Oh and Tuukka....

Good to see you posting again.I always enjoyed your input,regarding the short bow.