Author Topic: Takedown yew tiller check  (Read 1688 times)

Offline Accipiter

Takedown yew tiller check
« on: January 27, 2016, 03:21:53 pm »
Hi there, I've been working on my first takedown bow, made with some yew from a friends ranch in eastern Oregon. I've got it to somewhere around 50# @24", aiming for 55# @ 27"
Right limb is the upper for the brace and unbraced pics.

This is also my first truly stiff handled bow, so I've been having some troubles with getting the tiller nailed. The bottom limb is a bit stiffer close to the handle, but I'm hesitant to take too much more wood off. Do you all think I should do some scraping in the area between the arrows? Or should I heat in some reflex somewhere? Just wait for the lower limb to take more set and balance out?! Any other tiller issues I'm missing?

Rip it apart if you have to, I'm hoping this will be an elk bow someday, so I want the tiller to be pretty flawless!

Thanks!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Takedown yew tiller check
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 03:27:02 pm »
I'd scrape the bottom limb from the fade about 12" out. The middle of the bottom limb is the weakest point. Top looks great to me.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 03:27:42 pm »
Oh, and forget those silly circles :) Your eyes will do all that for you.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Accipiter

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 08:56:00 pm »
haha, thanks for the advice Pearl, on both accounts  :D