Author Topic: First osage selfbow tiller help  (Read 2765 times)

Offline Tracker0721

First osage selfbow tiller help
« on: October 21, 2015, 04:06:53 pm »
60" ntn, little under 55@28, widest part of any limb is 15/16" due to the staves shape.

Supposed to be a stiff handle bow because the middle of the handle has a big twist from a knot that I removed. Because of my splint I held it a little low apparently, couldn't grip like normal...

Should I remove some more wood from the outer limbs and try straightening the bend in the handle, maybe reflex the limbs? It took a bit of set in the handle area.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline Tracker0721

Re: First osage selfbow tiller help
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 04:11:21 pm »
And I got these cracks in the handle from taking said set.

Planning to wrap with something then do a leather handle wrap. Already filled with good super glue
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 04:36:42 pm »
Looks pretty good for your first osage bow. The outer portion of the bottom limb looks like it could bend a bit more though.
 A hemp cord wrap will hold that and saturate it with Massey finish. It makes a very strong wrap plus a good, comfortable handle wrap. I use it on most of my bows anymore.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 04:55:04 pm »
Yup like pat said bottom limb is doing most of the bending avout eight inches below your hand get the rest bending more and it is looking alright
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 05:31:29 pm »
looking good, good advice from above,,, if your draw is as in the pic,, maybe a little less than 28,,, great,, dont draw the bow to 28 any more,, and it will take less set at your draw,,and have better cast at the shorter draw,, :)

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 06:32:45 pm »
Looking good man- hope it finishes up as you wanted! :-)
Pat- what's a Massey finish? (I'm guessing it's an approach Jay Massey developed/favored)
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2015, 06:59:50 pm »
I see that hinge thing now! Thanks guys. I was gonna ask the same about the Massey finish. And even though it may be overkill, can I leather wrap it over that? If this bow holds together for a few hundred more shots I'm gonna skin it. I have a bit over 100 shots with it now.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2015, 07:31:11 pm »
yes you can leather wrap over it,, :)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2015, 07:37:28 pm »
A leather wrap over the hemp cord wrap may make the handle too big in diameter for your comfort. You could reduce the diameter of the handle a bit though.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Green

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2015, 08:24:20 pm »
Nice work Dylan!  Dang'd if you're not almost there.  Hope the finger heals up quick so you can get on to that new job!

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2015, 11:14:04 pm »
Okay Mr. B I went through threads to try finding pictures of your handles, boy do those look nice. But I couldn't find how you mix up your Massey finish? Is it the 10 parts acetone to 1 part epoxy like another guy said? And if I'm skinning it do I skin it first? And if I'm just using spray on miniwax poly to seal the bow do I do that first or add that to the layer of finish on the wrap?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2015, 11:47:20 pm »
I do 1 or 2 coats of sealer first before adding the wrap. I don't measure the Massey finish but mix the 2 part epoxy(I use 2ton in the double syringe) well first then add acetone until it is pretty thin. I use a rolled up paper towel to apply the finish by dabbing the handle with the saturated towel roll.
 I normally add shins, rawhide, etc. before adding the handle wrap but you can add skins later over the finish and just butt it against the handle wrap.