Author Topic: childs bow  (Read 2254 times)

riverrat

childs bow
« on: October 10, 2015, 10:54:23 pm »
not too long ago i made a basic eastern woodlands replica flatbow for my grandson. he loves it. getting good shooting it. at least he likes shooting it when i shoot mine. good times for sure. well my niece stops by the other day with my great nephew. shoots my grandsons bow and just "has to have one". lol so in between a couple other projects i have been building him one. have this ruffed out, barely bending, ready for tillering to brace. sure hope he likes it when its done. its kinda ugly with the knots and all. ;)

Offline bowandarrow473

Re: childs bow
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 11:02:59 pm »
Lookin good, I'm sure he'll love it.
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 01:04:44 am »
That will start him out right, as far as the knots the beauty lies in the imperfection
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2015, 12:23:50 pm »
No such thing as an ugly bow, just bows with character
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2015, 12:33:06 pm »
Awesome! Kids and bows go together. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

riverrat

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2015, 02:26:42 pm »
i made the bow with the scallops because of the knots.thanks for the kind words. i like it myself. wish it was bigger :) Tony

riverrat

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2015, 09:15:42 pm »
have it tillered to brace. nice even bend from what i can tell over my knee.have to make a string for it tomorrow. going to make a hemp tillering string for it right now. gonna order some rawhide or gutt  to make a string out of for actual use when its finished.wish i had some hair on rawhide.its hunting season. maybe ill get lucky get a deer or at least a ground hog lol.ground hog would make a heck of a hair on rawhide string. heres the specs so far, ttt 48 in. , aprox. 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 in. wide at the widest {because of scallops/knots/ect.} 5/8 in. wide at the widest tips.upper tip is a side nock with a asymmetrically cut tip .  bottom nock is a double side notched nock. bend through the handle bow.has a little reflex in the upper limbs . Tony

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2015, 09:17:41 pm »
What wood is it?
Whatever you are, be a good one.

riverrat

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2015, 10:15:34 pm »
Elm .Tony

riverrat

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2015, 09:41:28 pm »
shoots great. i bet it draws 30 plus pounds at 22 inches. i want to reduce weight a little. this is for a 9 year old. ill post some pics tomorrow of tiller, shooting it, ect. i made two spined out arrows. with tapered blunt heads .no fletches. they shoot great about 20 feet before they start to fly off in whatever direction.i was shooting at a pizza box at about 20 feet . both arrows right next to each other every time. i wouldnt be afraid to take it squirrel hunting thats for sure.i figgure let my nephew learn to shoot it at about 20 feet or less with propper arrows for it. then put fletches on them for him to shoot further later.hes so happy that hes getting it. him and i will be shooting together in the next day or two. good times. :) Tony

riverrat

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2015, 08:02:12 pm »
he came to pick his bow up just before it started getting dark. so we went out front. showed him how to string it up,unstring it. how to hold it, how to use a 3 finger draw. cause thats how i do it.shot it and hit the box to show him how its done.anyways, at about 15 feet he hit the cardboard box a couple of times. its the first time he ever shot a bow. i showed his dad how to do everything to. so he can teach him proper technique. at least the way i showed him. :). his dads words once he strung it up..."oh wow!"  he thought it was gonna be a toy or somethin im thinking.his dad really likes it too. Tony

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2015, 08:08:35 pm »
That's really nice.  :)

And you might end up having to make a bow for his dad, too!
I love it when a plan B comes together....

riverrat

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2015, 08:21:46 pm »
i was thinking that. :) Tony