Author Topic: new to making bows, need help  (Read 2363 times)

Offline edgemaster

new to making bows, need help
« on: October 15, 2015, 12:19:09 am »
Hello all, new bowyer here. I dont know if  Id be considered a bowyer as I have never made a bow or have the equipment necessary for higher tier production. With this being said, I am also quite poor and dont have the money or space for the equipment as I live in an apartment complex.

I want to get into selfbow creation but I really dont know where to start. I know nothing about it besides a little terminology I gleaned from reading posts here. I have chinaberry and mulberry trees right outside the fence which I plan on using for making stuff, but Im not entirely sure how good this wood is. Ive heard mulberry is decent, but like I said, Im not sure. Could I get a little spoonfeeding from experienced bowyers here?

I cut down a piece of mulberry around 9 ft long earlier and it currently is sitting in my bedroom propped up against the wall. I want to get going, but I dont know how long the wood should be beforehand to mae a good bow. Also, I dont know where the process begins. I havent debarked the wood yet. I know that you should let the wood cure or age or something to that effect. Typicaly how long does this take and what sort of process does this entail? I al literally only working with a pocketknife and a hacksaw. IS getting a drawknife necessary to making a bow? I am aware that it speeds up the process of shaping the wood. I dont want to go hacking away at a piece of wood thouhg if Im just going to screw it up. How do I age the wood before it is ready to be crafted? I dont have any experience in woodworking beside a teensy bit of whittling and making basic implements besides a few blackjacks and walking sticks. I also read something about making sure the ends dont split, but is this necessary? This piece of wood is literally fresh off the tree. I like the idea of hunting with a bow vs a firearm because imo it better replicates ancient hunting for food vs for sport which is why I want to do this. Sorry for sounding dumb if I am but we all have to start somewhere.

Offline wizardgoat

Re: new to making bows, need help
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 02:57:29 am »
I'd highly recommend getting the bowyers bible vol 1. It will answer many of your questions and so much more. Check our lots of the build alongs on this site, lots go from log to bow. Have fun and welcome to the site

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 04:41:28 am »
Mulberry is great wood. Cousin to Osage! Get the tbb's and start reading. Make sure you seal the ends with shellac or poly. I'd just slit it into 6' staves. You can take the bark off just make sure you seal the ends and back.  You'll need a good draw knive
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

blackhawk

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 06:36:11 am »
Welcome!!! :) where do you live? There might be someone with a lil bit of experience to help ya out in person (best way to learn imo). Ive made bows with nothing but a hatchet before...they aint high end hillbilly delux models but theyll put meat on the table ;)

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 06:54:46 am »
Mulberry is a great wood! Just split it into staves and seal the ends, you can improvise a drawknife with a machete and some duct tape ;)
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline edgemaster

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2015, 09:24:43 am »
I live in galveston county texas.

blackhawk

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2015, 09:34:53 am »
Don't know how close it is for you, but its this weekend,and i know youd benefit greatly from it...Arvins a good dude ;)

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,53806.0.html

Theres quite a few guys spread out across texas..maybe theyll chime in and help ya out.