Author Topic: SOURWOOD  (Read 2363 times)

Offline crooketarrow

SOURWOOD
« on: October 11, 2015, 02:14:28 pm »
  I don't make a lot of arrows other than what I need but a few here and there. I tryed for 4 or 5 years to get some sourwood. Then last year I made 2 trades a dozzen 2 year olds. And 30 from  another guy. His was surspose to be 5 years old.

Well I made a dozzen with the one guys. They were ok I'm use to mainly dogwood, IT'S HEAVEYER,HARDER,STIFFER AND HAS TO BE HEATED SOME. But stays straight.

Those first did'nt seam they wanted to stay straight. But now the 5 year old shoots are 6 years old now. Back about 2 months ago I started 3 arrows for a 45# bow, 6 arrows for a 55# bow and 4 arrows for me 55 # bow.

It 's like a totally different wood ( little light) but no problems with them staying straight. Even the light ones for the 45# bow. There maybe under 5 1/6's.

I like it because no heat requided to straighten the older shoots. I know dogwood the older the shoots the better the arrow. Not sure if thats the same with sourwood.

I don't like it as good as dogwood but Sourwoods easyer to work with. It's ok in my book.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: SOURWOOD
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 02:20:43 pm »
I refer sourwood over dogwood for the same reasons you are the other way around. Are you sure the sourwood shoots were at least second year growth? Did they have branches or just leaf scars?  Like with bow wood arrow shoots are best seasoned for at least a year and 2 or more is better.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 06:27:16 am »
Sour wood is my favorite also, Dog wood are good but have trouble keeping the straight also. ??? I guess everyone like what they are use to, I know I will get some slack over this but I much prefer Sour wood over Cain of any kind. I can make much more consistent arrow from it than I can Cain of any kind. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 08:59:48 am »
I'm the same Pappy.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 09:39:09 pm »
I have tried sourwood and like it a lot, it's to bad it doesn't grow where I hunt in SC, that means I'm going to have to stock up when I go hunting in NC two weeks from now (gonna load up the car with all my sticks and staves).
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 10:15:43 pm »
Wherein SC are you? Sourwood grows at least down in the Piedmont.

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2015, 10:57:01 pm »
Hampton, haven't found any yet but I'm always lookin!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 12:19:31 am »
That's a bit far down. I bet you have lots of switch cane, yaupon holly or maybe Bambusa multiplex, all make good arrows.

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2015, 09:52:44 pm »
Only cane I've found was small and wimpy, but there is some good cane I have found, too bad it's across the creek and not on my property and the other one was mowed a year ago by the road :( I've seen holly but haven't cut any, I mainly use chinese privet and dogwood, as well as Japanese arrow bamboo that grows by my house and some arrowood viburnum in SC and some in NC.