Author Topic: sinew on maple?  (Read 7750 times)

Offline kiwijim

Re: sinew on maple?
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2008, 01:13:27 am »
A friend and I sinew backed a hard-maple flatbow one damp winter.  Come spring, no matter how hard we tried, we could not bring it into tiller. Finally the bow broke. An autopsy revealled the sinew had rotted the surface of the maple in a couple of places , so if you do sinew back it, make sure it can dry out reasonably quickly.
Sinew backing will also make the bow less liable to chrysal, but if you are intent investing the time necessary to sinew back a bow, I would agree with the others and get a decent stave

James

Offline DanaM

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2008, 11:49:11 am »
Jesse I think any wood not tillered properly will fret, I've made a few from the same maple I sent you and its good wood.
The back is sealed with shellac so you will have to remove that before you sinew it. Its your call, but if you want to sinew it
go for it ;D But like was said earlier keep it short. And remember white wood don't take the heat as well as osage. So if your
going to flip the tips be careful.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2008, 07:01:47 pm »
I've never had hard maple fret on me. Its one of my favorite white woods, a close second to elm.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

PK

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2008, 02:25:02 pm »
Since I'm workin with the same tree wood  is fretting little waves in the wood? or is it the same as chrystals? Sometimers.PK

Offline DanaM

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2008, 02:40:10 pm »
fretting chryasals(sp) are one and the same they are compression fractures,
They form when the limb is overstressed or lust part of the limb is overstressed.

Is that maple fretting PK
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline sailordad

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2008, 11:56:07 pm »
I was just curious if someone could post a pic of this for me,i am still a newbie and not exactly sure what this looks like
thank you
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd