Author Topic: DBow  (Read 2440 times)

Offline cfox

DBow
« on: October 04, 2015, 12:39:56 pm »
I've been reading the Forum a long time but never contributed anything. There is a wealth of talent and skill demonstrated here and I am educated and inspired every time I visit. I started making wooden bows 25years ago after reading "The Bowyers Craft". I'm never satisfied after finishing a bow, I always think "I can do better". I haven't made many "D" bows but I think this one turned out pretty good. 66'NTN, 48#@28", Red Oak/Hickory Perry reflex. 1 3/16" wide from grip to mid limb, 7/16" nocks. 109grain string, leather built up grip wrapped with rawhide, leather dye/Tru-oil finish. The bow weighed 12 oz. when final tillered, 15oz. after grip, finish and string. I started with 2" of reflex after glue up, 1 1/8" reflex after tillering. Braced, strung and shot then unbraced it holds 3/4" reflex, a few minutes later it"s back to an inch. I haven't chronographed it yet. I was aiming for 45# and I expect with continued usage it will come pretty close. So far about 100 shots. Hope this post helps somebody.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 12:43:33 pm by cfox »
Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now.”
― William Hutchison Murray

Offline rps3

Re: DBow
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 01:05:35 pm »
Great looking bow, I think the shadows in the background make it hard to see full draw clearly.

Offline Drewster

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 01:21:53 pm »
That's a fine looking bow.  You should have been sharing your talents a long time ago.  Show us some more.
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 01:57:16 pm »
That's a nice bow, cfox. Apparently you have been building them for a while. I also got started  with Jay Massey's The Bowyers Craft. That and his Primitive Archery, both signed to me by Jay.
 The outer limb of the top limb looks a bit stiff to me but that could be the shadow. Nice work.  Show us more.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline GB

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2015, 02:04:01 pm »
That is a great looking bow.  Love it when it holds reflex like that.  Nice work!
Yeah, I remember when we had a President who didn't wear a tinfoil hat.

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2015, 02:39:18 pm »
Awesome bow, I love bendy handles.
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline cfox

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2015, 08:50:19 pm »
The last "D" bow I tried took a lot of set in the outer limbs so I tillered this one to bend more in the middle and very little near the tips. Probably a tad long for 45# but the low string angle makes for a nice draw. Here's a few more pics. The last one is after 10 arrows and just unbraced. Constructive criticism always appreciated. I'll get some pics of some of my other bows when I get more time.
Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now.”
― William Hutchison Murray

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 05:30:24 am »
Beautiful bow, very nice job. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2015, 10:59:55 am »
Real nice work.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2015, 03:43:41 pm »
That bow is like an arrow without any groove on the feather end....you just can't nock it! (Can't knock it?)   >:D

Man, I do love me some D bow, and that one is mighty fine indeed!  Thanks for the share!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline alwayslookin

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2015, 04:04:48 pm »
Sweet bow. She's elegant.
In all your ways acknowledge  him and he will make your paths straight.

riverrat

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2015, 10:10:35 pm »
nice bow. i like bendy handle bows. tiller looks good. Tony