Author Topic: Making " My" weight  (Read 3699 times)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Making " My" weight
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2015, 05:13:34 am »
At 67, with a bad back and neck, I thank God I can shoot high 40's. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline redhawk55

• bowXplosion
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2015, 06:42:33 am »
Getting older, I like it, but more than ever my body is the limit.

In 2006 I broke my spine. I have had to learn simple movements like walking anew. It took me about 8 weeks to climb a stair again..................for not to talk about bowmaking and drawing a bow.
At the end of 2007 I was able to draw 15- 20lbs. Bad times.
I talked to my family doctor, she knows a physiotherapist and this guy did a real great job. He teached me how to use every muscle needed for to draw a bow: position of my feet, all the involved muscles of my back, arms, neck, shoulders.............how to keep tension, the right moment for the release. This was a great experience, I was surprised what a body is able to do with a bit more knowledge about its capablities.
Anyway 45lbs at 26" is definitely the limit now, I donīt need a drawing- scale for to check the 45lbs limit, my body knows it very well.

As a great side effect I began to study how to tune wooden bows, thatīs why I joined the paleoplanet and the primitive archer- forums, especially their flightbow- areas. That helped me a lot.
So my body set the limit at 45lbs and it's up to me to get out the most of it: tuning bows, tuning my archery- capablities.
Finally I would say bowery has become much more deeper and above all it is much more fun than ever.

Michael
..........the way of underdoing.............

Offline Badger

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2015, 09:30:17 am »
Thats good to hear Michael, I seem to go through this every year when I return from the flight shoots. I am always determined to go back the next year and draw more weight but never stick to my exercise regimen.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2015, 08:06:25 pm »
yes a well tuned 45# bow can be very impressive,,

Offline bow101

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2015, 08:30:22 pm »
yes a well tuned 45# bow can be very impressive,,

Thats my ultimate goal. :)  45 is all I need.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

riverrat

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2015, 12:26:58 am »
when i was in my early 30's 55-60 lbs. was what felt comfortable. i was able to shoot decently at that weight. now im in my 50's.i just finished my first bow in a long long time. dont have a scale but im betting its in the 40-45 lb. at 26 in. range.it feels good.i can hold it comfortably. tomorrow im going to fling some arrows and see how it really feels to shoot again.been awhile. but im betting i wont be shooting anything in the 55-60 lb. range for a long time to come.Tony