Author Topic: how long?  (Read 2141 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
how long?
« on: August 30, 2015, 03:04:58 pm »
Funny how questions pop up all at the same time.  So I steamed the laurel bow for about 3/4 of an hour, clamped it straight for about 18 hours over night and when I took it out of the clamps it was lovely and straight.  Two hours later it had completely gone back to its old shape, so, did I not clamp it for long enough, or not steam it for long enough, or should I have used dry heat - I put it back in the clamps to finish drying as it was still damp when I un-clamped it, but I think I am going to have to try again.

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: how long?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 03:07:12 pm »
well seems clamp it longer and steam it longer

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 03:33:43 pm »
so it seems, but would be nice if we could pin it down to one or the other for future reference - for instance, if the wood should be clamped until dried out

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 03:44:46 pm »
I've not tried laurel but with the whitewoods I have used, dry heat worked well for me. I clamp at the handle, back against the form and started heating at the fade on one limb and work my way out the limb, clamping as I go. I heat it initially until it begins to turn color. When the first limb is done I move to the second limb. Once both limbs are heated and clamped I go back over both limbs, heating until I get a darker color. I then let the bow rest in the form at least until the next day and sometimes longer depending on the R/H. If the humidity is low I give it a few days. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 03:55:34 pm »
It's a good idea to go a little past where you want it to end up, as there will always be some spring-back.  Some guys also steam and clamp, wait a while and then while still clamped, hit it with dry heat.    I have done this and it seems to lock the bend in a bit more. 

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 03:55:55 pm »
Maybe you didn't get it clamped up quick enough?
It's good if you can apply the steam or heat in situ where it will be clamped, you can actually feel the wood starting to give, then bend and clamp it up and ideally keep it steaming for a while longer.
It should only need leaving long enough to cool down which is probably as long as it took to heat up! However it's sensible to leave it overnight.
I have found some wood that tends to spring back after bending... setting the bend in place with heat treating seems to work well, and the two operations can often be combined.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline sleek

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 04:22:16 pm »
Evertime I steam something I go back after its dried ( dont take long, steam is hot enough to actually dry wood out ) and temper the belly with dry heat. I found it helps lock in the shape. Give that a go before unclamping. Watch for checks and if you see em stop. Woods too wet if those happen.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 04:22:19 am »
Thanks guys, I did clamp it up straight away, but didn't dry it before I un-clamped it, will give that a go next time.  Does this all apply to bending in recurves?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2015, 09:05:39 am »
I have done recurves with dry heat but I think your best bet for recurves is steaming or boiling.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2015, 09:08:20 am »
Not a long enough steam. A complete bow will take at least an hour, Id go 75-90 minutes.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2015, 09:34:48 am »
I usually go at least an hour after it starts steaming good, then be sure to have everything ready so it can be clamped really quick, I am talking just a few minutes[like 5 maybe] quicker if possible. I also keep a heat gun handy in case it starts to cool. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2015, 09:52:13 am »
Anytime pieces return to where they came from, you are either short on heat or didn't get it bent and clamped fast enough. It was hot enough to bend, but not hot enough to stay.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2015, 09:57:37 am »
Interesting Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2015, 03:12:50 pm »
Thanks all, looks like I was way short on steam, needed at least another half hour by Pearl Drum's reckoning. :)