Author Topic: ca glue question  (Read 1300 times)

Offline sleek

ca glue question
« on: August 30, 2015, 04:16:20 pm »
So, I have been using locktite gel for a long time on tip overlays. But now I am needing to glue wood together that needs the glue to perform well in sheer stress. How well does ca glue hold up in sheer?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline KS51

Re: ca glue question
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 10:57:31 pm »
While I can't tell you the specifics for loctite. If you google it, you are looking for the properties sheet for the specific loctite that you use (they number their glues).  The property you are interested in is the lap shear strength. It should be given in psi.  You want a value of at least 3000psi if you are going to use a glue for structural applications.  You also want to look at the max elongation at failure.  For bows (and any bending application) the glue has to stretch  appropriatly for the application.  I would compare it to TB3 or TB2 for general guidance if you intend to use it for bows.  Just remember, it has to be strong and flexible.  Strong but brittle can fail spontaneously, which is why many epoxies are no good for bow building.

Ken

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: ca glue question
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 11:03:45 pm »
Thanks for the explanation, Ken. Very informative. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC