Author Topic: Bottom nock  (Read 1752 times)

Offline DC

Bottom nock
« on: September 02, 2015, 06:51:46 pm »
Do you guys do anything clever to keep the string on the bottom nock when it's unbraced? I can put a string keeper on but I just wondered if there was a secret shape or something.  ;) I use a boyers knot.

Offline bow101

Re: Bottom nock
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 06:57:06 pm »
I just use a double loop or whatever holds.   What I will do on this build is to cut in proper temp nocks on the side only but deeep enough.  Then when the bow is near completion I cut a string groove on the back of the tip.

You only cut the groove on the back side...........correct.....?
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 07:20:23 pm »
I tie a bowyers knot for the bottom nock. If you make the string loop small enough it will hold on its own, except for pin nocks.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline LittleBen

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 11:36:40 pm »
I just put both loops over the top nock until I'm ready to string it if it's a bow with pin nicks or some other nock that tends to let the string slip off. If both loops are over the top nock, and the bow is standing it won't come off and the string twist will be maintained. One horizontal rack this is not an issue and I just place the string on carefully and it stays.

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 01:16:03 am »
B ow101 you only cut the groove on the back if you have overlays not on a selfbow without overlays
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline randman

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 02:51:38 am »
I usually use pin nocks or side nocks and a string with a fixed loop at the top and tied on with a series of 3 or 4 half hitches at the bottom...never comes off or slips.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline jayman448

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 03:03:20 am »
One inch or so piece of rubber stretchy tube. Slide it over as a tip saver and a string keeper

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 04:12:00 am »
I make the bottom loop very small or a tip protector..  ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline cdpbrewer

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2015, 08:21:12 am »
All of my bows have narrow tips, no side notches for the string, overlays and almost all have endless strings- a pic of a typical one example of the tips:
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,39151.msg521105.html#msg521105

I use a string keeper on the top nock.   They are simple and quick to make using a jig, 1/8" shock cord, a wood bead and waxed bow string material.   A how-to:
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,43032.msg577766.html#msg577766

The caveat is that one needs to keep a bit of tension on the string when the keeper is not on so the bottom string loop stays on the nock.   It very quickly becomes a habit tho'!

Most of my bows are vertically hung from pegs and they are flip them every month to equalize any effects of varying humidity- admittedly, pretty picky! :P   Avoiding a keeper for the "bottom" string loop allows for easy, quick flipping of the bows- .i.e. one less thing to have to fool with.  One more pickly thing  :o - this swapping also helps equalize any change in tiller from push-pull stringing since the top limb is swapped for the bottom one every month. 

c.d.

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2015, 09:05:59 am »
I always seem to have several short pieces of artificial sinew laying around on my work bench. Often times I'll wrap and tie a strip around my tillering string to make sure it doesn't slip off. But I sometimes will tie a piece around my unbraced bow so that its always where it should be. Not fancy, but it works.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2015, 09:22:14 am »
I tie a smaller bottom loop. If that does not work, I wrap a rubber band around the loop and nock. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2015, 09:28:47 am »
I tie a smaller bottom loop. If that does not work, I wrap a rubber band around the loop and nock. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2015, 04:54:01 pm »
bowyers knot most the time

Offline DC

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2015, 05:03:20 pm »
I noticed that most of you are doing the same as me so I took a close look at my bows and I think what is wrong is I am putting the nock too close to the tip(reducing tip weight,I thought). This put the knot on the tapered part of the tip which made it much easier for the string to fall off the end. A slight redesign should solve my problem, I hope. Thanks for the advice.