Author Topic: Sinew backed Yew Shorty  (Read 3592 times)

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
Sinew backed Yew Shorty
« on: November 04, 2015, 08:20:02 pm »
Sadly I didn't make this one but received it today from the Bowyer (a real gent!)
Sinew backed Scottish Yew with horn tip overlays 54" and 1.5" recurves. 73#@24.5" and zero set! :o
I haven't had the chance to shoot it properly yet but it is a beast with little handshock. Any tips on form for shooting such a powerful little bow would be greatly appreciated! :-)
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline bowandarrow473

Re: Sinew backed Yew Shorty
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 08:46:00 pm »
My gosh that looks like an elegant BEAST of a bow! Obviously very well made, quite a thing to be given!
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 09:41:56 pm »
I can't quite figure out how the string is coming together at the arrow in that photo....

well laid a straightedge on the screen and it works...just an optical illusion, I guess.
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 02:02:11 am »
That's a heck of a bow, would like to shoot that sucker!
I wonder how you could tell it took 'zero set'. For me set is the different measurement from before tillering and shot in.

Congrats on that bow.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline sieddy

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2015, 04:10:29 am »
Cheers guys I am buzzing about this bow and had to share the pics on here where know they'd be appreciated!
Bowandarrow- that's spot on like so many bows on here it manages to look elegant and primitive. Incidentally it wasn't a gift as I bought it (but it was a steal! :)
Plan b- i see what you mean unfortunately I had to crop the person out of the shot. For the time being I don't think I could hold full draw long enough for a photo!  :o
Simson- praise indeed coming from you mate. I knew set was the wrong term I meant to say the unbraced profile is completely flat except for the recurved tips.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 04:56:04 am by sieddy »
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2015, 09:52:49 am »
You and me both, sieddy!

I meant to say, too, cool bow! :)
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2015, 10:05:26 am »
Very cool little bow but 73#@24.5" hurts me to think about it.
 When I first started making and shooting short bows it took me quite a while to get good at it. I really had to concentrate on my form, the way I held the bow and my release. Being as strong as it is, if you can handle that weight comfortably you should be able to get a good release.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline WillS

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2015, 10:58:03 am »
Gorgeous bow! Why is the bowyer cropped out of the photo?!

Offline sieddy

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2015, 11:01:41 am »
Thanks Pat. For the time being I'm not going to worry about accuracy but just concentrate on achieving a smooth release and in getting stronger!  :o
I was daunted by the draw weight but I had to give it a go as Sinew backed bows are pretty unusual in the UK. And I've wanted to try one ever since I read DC Waldorfs book the art of making primitive bows and arrows.  :)

Offline sieddy

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2015, 11:05:07 am »
To be honest I didn't have his permission to use the photo.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2015, 05:36:07 pm »
I used to shoot 65#at 25 quite a bit for my hunting bow,,,if you just shoot that bow exclusively you will develop very good accuracy,, I had a floating anchor but tried to use consistent good form,,, the bow will dictate when to let go( you just cant pull it any more) and you will get a great release,, :) when you dont have an anchor,, it is good to put a piece of tape on the arrow so you hit draw the same each time,,

Offline bow101

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2015, 09:52:18 pm »
73#@24.5" and zero set!    Wow.......  :o
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell