Author Topic: Top Nock?  (Read 1819 times)

Offline Wooden Spring

Top Nock?
« on: August 13, 2015, 09:05:53 am »
Can anyone post some pictures about how they cut top nocks into tip overlays on narrow tip bows?

I'm in the process of making some narrow tips on a hard maple backed ipe bow, and I'm used to making pin nocks at 1/2" wide. This bow has 3/8" tips, so I want to make a top nock - I've already glued on some ipe tip overlays, and those blanks are 3/4" thick, so I've got plenty of room to carve, I just want a little better idea of where to start.
"Everything that moves shall be food for you..." Genesis 9:3

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Top Nock?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 09:07:35 am »
Do a search for any of Blackhawk's bows and you will see a good example of skinny nock grooves.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 12:00:19 pm »

Just in the horn no side grooves
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Gordon

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 08:15:58 pm »
There is a detailed description of the process on Page 4 in the following thread:

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,3895.45.html
Gordon

Offline Wooden Spring

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 09:55:23 am »
So... Basically, everyone does it slightly different. Got it.

Offline Mad Max

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 10:31:35 am »
Can anyone post some pictures about how they cut top nocks into tip overlays on narrow tip bows?

I'm in the process of making some narrow tips on a hard maple backed ipe bow, and I'm used to making pin nocks at 1/2" wide. This bow has 3/8" tips, so I want to make a top nock - I've already glued on some ipe tip overlays, and those blanks are 3/4" thick, so I've got plenty of room to carve, I just want a little better idea of where to start.

almost all my nocks are 1/4" to 3/16" wide so there is no room for nock groves on the SIDES so I file a grove on the top only and trap the belly to  a point almost, all the pressure is on the nock glue so make the nock overlay longer and rough up the glue area Good.
That is how I do it
look at post "Ash snake bow (MoJam)" posted yesterday , I added a pic. for side view of nock
I would rather fail trying to do something above my means, Than to succeed at something beneath my means.

Offline Wooden Spring

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 11:47:26 am »
Thanks Mad Max.

Is there an advantage to angling the mounting suface of a tip overlay on a backed bow (or any bow really) versus gluing the overlay flat on the back? The only advantage that I can think of is that the angled suface give a longer contact surface for the glue.

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2015, 11:55:50 am »
It would take a bit of the shear off the glue joint, but not much.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2015, 12:09:43 pm »
I usually glue nock overlays without angling the tip. Just be sure you have good, flat mating surfaces that match perfectly.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC