Author Topic: saskatoon (service berry) old growth?  (Read 1371 times)

Offline jayman448

saskatoon (service berry) old growth?
« on: August 05, 2015, 10:00:47 pm »
I found what looked to be a large straight thick stave and just couldnt wait to cut it (so i didnt) but i found that the end center on one end was real punky and rotton looking (obviously not useable.) I cut the other side just to see and it was not rotton but it was black in the center. Is this a fungus or a common rot with this kind if wood? If i come across a piece that is not punky but is black will it nit be suitable? (I apologize for me never ending questions xD)

Offline bambam

Re: saskatoon (service berry) old growth?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 03:40:11 pm »
I have done 2 old growth saskatoon bows with dark brown center (not black). The dark color was hard and had no weakness in the bow. I have 2 really nice staves drying in the basement and will let them dry bark on with ends glued for at least a year as they tend to propeller twist as they dry. The fibers of this wood is crazy tough and an inch thick stave can make a high poundage bow.
He was honest for a politician, meaning he would not steal a red hot stove.   Mark Twain

Offline jayman448

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 12:43:39 pm »
This one i got must be about two and a half inches across dead straight, over six foot long with two knots on the same side (so i intend on hacking em out on the belly side) quite excited for this piece if wood (so long as the black stuff isnt an issue xD)

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2015, 01:54:53 pm »
Roughly what kind of age is "old growth" Saskatoon?

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2015, 07:24:59 pm »
Roughly what kind of age is "old growth" Saskatoon?

Yea ....What diameter of tree was that old growth............... I got access to a few trees been thinking about making some bows ....................
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline jayman448

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2015, 10:55:29 pm »
Lik i said above its probably about two a d a half inches across only. Ive found bigger that had the old growth a d inside of the black ring was a mulchy punky rotten center