Author Topic: First Rainbow Obsidian Point  (Read 1611 times)

Offline PrimitiveTim

First Rainbow Obsidian Point
« on: August 05, 2015, 05:25:10 pm »
During my road trip I went to Davis creek and got into some rainbow obsidian.  I randomly showed the day a knapp in started so I got to meet a lot of awesome people there.  I was pretty stoked to hang out with some western knappers.  Basically rainbow obsidian has to be broken at roughly the right angle in order to see any of the color and it has to be held at the right angle to the sun to see it.  So to make a point that shows the color is kind of difficult.  The other day I reached into my rock bucket and took out an ugly challenging looking piece that I didn't think had any rainbow in it.  I started getting it flat and low and behold I turned it and a flash of color hit me.  I was pretty excited.  Basically I got lucky with that color showing up.

Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline YosemiteBen

Re: First Rainbow Obsidian Point
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 06:05:42 pm »
Very nice there Mr Tim!

Offline Zuma

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 07:50:40 pm »
That's a cool trick---- putting the ink marks on
your hand so they reflect through the point,
so it looks like  rainbow obsidian.
Must be nice for a cracker to dig it and knap it.
Nice going Tim.
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 08:59:50 pm »
Your putting out some nice points Tim. That's some pretty stone.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 05:25:32 pm »
Hey, look's like time well spent with other knappers, your points are looking good, Tim.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 12:02:09 pm »
Thanks fellas!  I finally got a bucket and a tarp so I can knap anywhere.  Knapped on the shore of lake Tahoe yesterday evening.  Talk about relaxing...
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!