Author Topic: Nock height  (Read 7047 times)

Offline DC

Nock height
« on: August 11, 2015, 05:47:11 pm »
Does tiller (+- or what ever) affect nock height?

Offline Badger

Re: Nock height
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 06:03:40 pm »
  It can, good idea to tune your arrows to the bow you are shooting before you set your nock height marker. I tend to be lazy and set mine about 1/8" high on most bows, seems to be forgiving but much more knowledable shooters might come on and give you a better answer.

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 06:08:26 pm »
I set most of mine at 3/8". Does your individual form enter into it?

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 07:11:26 pm »
I like to half draw the bow and ease it back a few times and watch the arrow as I do it. If the arrow tip moves up and down and not just back and forth I need to adjust the nock point. There is a side to side motion on a non-center shot bow which is expected. Just try to focus on vertical movement of the arrow point.

If your nock point is to high, the tip of the arrow goes down as you ease the bow from 1/2 draw back to brace. If your nock point is too low the tip of the arrow rises as you ease it back. It's easier to see if you draw like you're gonna shoot from the hip.

There's other ways to tune your nock point, but this one works for me.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 07:57:38 pm »
I set my nock point at 3/8" above horizontal and nock the arrow over the nock point.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 08:15:08 pm »
I set my nock point at 3/8" above horizontal and nock the arrow over the nock point.
Hummmm .......I would guess that you use a split finger release...???  Pat,  Why nock above ? inquiring minds want to know........
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 09:39:49 pm »
I've always done it that way. I think I read about guys nocking above for a smoother motion from back quiver to on the string ready to shoot without looking, doing it all by feel.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2015, 08:48:38 am »
When the bow is done, I take my bow square and place marks on the string in 1/8" increments. I shoot and not e where the best spot is. For the first few weeks , I wind a 1/4" strip of duct or electrical take around where the nock point it.

Eventually, I'll wrap some thread soaked in glue there.

I wrote some info on bow tuning on my site.

http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/selfbowcare.html

Jawge

Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2015, 09:01:49 am »
I start about 1/8 high [just eyeballing it]and adjust from there, that is usually pretty close, I shoot a target up close, maybe 10/12 feet holding the bow square to the target, it the arrow nock hits nock high you lower the nock if it hits tail low raise it. :)I shoot split finger and it does matter if you shoot split or 3 under. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2015, 09:07:14 am »
"Does tiller affect nock height?"

The best placement for it? Absolutely. How could it not? The spot to place the arrow on the string for best flight and bow behavior is directly related to limb strength relative to one another and the archer's holds on the bow's handle and string.

Archers setting up a new bow(generically tillered) often have to move nock point location around to find the spot best suited to their particular shooting idioms... or adjust their form to suit the bow. If the bow isn't designed or tillered to suit them very well, they may have to move it far to bring things into some semblence of balance and decent arrow flight.

As bowyers however, we have an advantage in that we can predict where we want to nock the arrow, and then design
and tiller the bow so that it balances at full draw and shoots an arrow perfectly straight away from that spot relative to the archer's holds I mentioned. It likely sounds more complicated than it is, but actually in my experience, it makes design, construction, tillering, and tuning more cut and dry, predictable, with no guesswork or backtracking. I know exactly where I'm going to set my nock point before I even pick up a stave to begin, and I know that when its done, it will be perfectly balanced when I draw it from there and won't need to be moved.

By the way, I place the arrow under the nock point and set the nock point 3/8" above the shelf... this gives the tail end of the arrow about 1/8" elevation above the shelf as it passes.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline DC

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2015, 11:43:09 am »
Thanks DWS. Can you say for example that that if the nock point seems a bit high that the bottom limb is to strong(or weak)?

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2015, 01:32:58 pm »
Yes. Strong in that case.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

mikekeswick

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2015, 03:16:57 am »
Use a square off the top of your grip then go up an 1/8th. The other option is to start high and then gradually lower until you feel the feather scrape your knuckle...then go back up a fraction. Once it doesn't touch my knuckle I call it done.

Offline Badger

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2015, 06:16:58 am »
I like to half draw the bow and ease it back a few times and watch the arrow as I do it. If the arrow tip moves up and down and not just back and forth I need to adjust the nock point. There is a side to side motion on a non-center shot bow which is expected. Just try to focus on vertical movement of the arrow point.

If your nock point is to high, the tip of the arrow goes down as you ease the bow from 1/2 draw back to brace. If your nock point is too low the tip of the arrow rises as you ease it back. It's easier to see if you draw like you're gonna shoot from the hip.

There's other ways to tune your nock point, but this one works for me.

I like to do this during the tillering process so it is hopefully straightened out before I get to shooting.