Author Topic: California bow wood  (Read 8266 times)

Offline Accipiter

Re: California bow wood
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2015, 08:58:04 pm »
The top tree (probably the bark, and for sure the leaves) is big-leaf maple. Not awesome bow wood from what I've heard, but it does grow nice and straight! The middle tree with the smaller, lance-shaped leaves is California bay (myrtlewood, etc). Try crushing one of the leaves and smelling, you won't mistake it again! the last tree with the peeling bark is madrone. Its a pretty cool tree, looks very tropical even though it grows well into Canada. The wood on that is very pretty, but a bit brittle from what I hear.

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2015, 09:20:20 pm »
the tree with the red thin bark peeling off IS pacific madrone and it is VERY sensitive to checking and twisting...I am not say you cant make a bow from it BUT you should prepair your self for it..and the wood is really hard..john

Offline bubby

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2015, 10:04:51 pm »
The bottom tree is madrone also a bow wood if you can find a pc that's not twisted
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline TolkienFan

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2015, 11:58:13 pm »
Thanks guys. Will def have to try at least some type of woodworking project out of Madrone. Too cool to not work.

How is the coastal Live oak for bows? I saw tons that looked straight enough and about the right size for a bow.
“The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can.”

Offline bubby

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2015, 12:03:29 am »
As long as it's not diseased or has curly grain, I've cut some of that😣oak makes good bow wood
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹