Author Topic: osage bow question  (Read 1666 times)

Offline bigfish

osage bow question
« on: July 24, 2015, 05:55:04 pm »
just finished an osage bow 54" long I was thinking of backing it as I do not want string follow I have it reverse strung now hoping it will take some reflex and may back it with linen but really like it unbacked is there anything other than backing to help I have some sinew but trying to save it for my 48" osage I am working on

Offline bubby

Re: osage bow question
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 06:24:20 pm »
Just backing it won't stop set, to quote jawge set happens and a little don't hurt, just reverse bracing it won't work either you need to heat in some reflex or reverse brace and sinew
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 07:53:48 pm »
There is no way to prevent set. You can reduce set by improving your tillering and design skills.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 08:01:23 pm »
And make sure your wood is well seasoned!!

Offline make-n-break

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 08:02:13 pm »
Why so scared of string follow? If I get anything under 1.5 inches I'm a happy fella. As Howard Hill said... "A little string follow is good for accuracy."
"When making a bow from board staves you are freeing a thing of dignity from the humiliation of static servitude." -TBB1

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2015, 08:06:25 am »
"And make sure your wood is well seasoned!!" x 2.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Aries

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2015, 11:47:22 am »
X3 on well dried wood, I made the mistake of starting a 62 inch osage the other day and it was still wet after steaming in my reflex and I almost 3 inches of set. This week I finished I properly dried 52 inch osage bow 40# at 25 inches and it took only around 1 inch of set. Drying makes a big difference,  I have started keeping all of my projects and soon to be projects in a hot box when they aren't being used.
"If the only tool you have is a hammer,
                   you tend to see every problem as a nail."
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2015, 03:06:24 pm »
unbacked the bow will shoot well and accurate
if you heat treat a bit it may take less set,, and possibly improve performance
if you sinew back while it is braced backwards it will probably hold reflex and possibly increase the poundage and cast over the unbacked bow,,, but that is not a given depending on your skill set,, :)

mikekeswick

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2015, 02:58:46 am »
Bracing it backwards is a very bad idea unless you intent to back it with sinew. Do not leave it braced backwards or else you WILL 100% get more set than if you hadn't.

Offline Chadwick

• Knock off everything that ain't a bow.
    • Primal Archery
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2015, 01:47:54 pm »
Another vote toward proper wood MC. When I was in Portland OR and Palmer AK, I had a drying box. Now that I'm in San Diego, my whole f'ing garage is a drying box. Whenever you receive a stave, prepare it for reaching appropriate equilibrium.
Nothing flying, Nothing dying

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2015, 06:25:20 pm »
<snip>As Howard Hill said... "A little string follow is good for accuracy."

I did not know that was an HH quote, but I LOVE it! ...and I completely concur.  It certainly robs a bit of the raw performance of a self bow, but in my opinion, it gives back a bit of accuracy in it's place.  Honestly, ...if I practiced more, I'd become consistent in my motion and release and have all the accuracy I could need, but for a casual and occasional shooter, I suspect a bit of set is a real blessing in the accuracy department.  (...that's what I tell myself anyway so I don't have to feel bad about the little bit of set my bows invariably seem to take!:o :o 8) ::) :P

OneBow