Author Topic: Canoe/Kayak paddles  (Read 1635 times)

JacksonCash

Canoe/Kayak paddles
« on: July 23, 2015, 03:58:34 pm »
Anyone here ever made them? Seems like many of the same tools as bowmaking can be used. I'm thinking about trying it out, and using my beautiful handcrafted paddle as a reason to buy a canoe or kayak...

Offline RBLusthaus

Re: Canoe/Kayak paddles
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 05:16:58 pm »
Yes, I have made them.  Draw knife, spokeshave, scraper and rasp will work well.  Don't forget sandpaper. 

But the only thing a hand made paddle is allowed to be used for is . . . . a hand made canoe or kayak -  so you better plan some extra time as the project just got a little bigger in scope . . . .

Russ

Offline sleek

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 05:48:44 pm »
Onebowwonder is a wooden boat guy and I have seen his wooden paddle for a paddle board. He does good work. Look him up, he may have some pointers for you.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 06:44:25 pm »

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 08:41:10 pm »
As the founder, owner and CEO of the Seattle Atl-atl, Canoe Paddle, and Cattle Company, I can definitively speak on this subject. 

If you can rough out a bow and begin tillering, you have all the necessary skills and tools to make a canoe paddle.

I have every confidence you can do this!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

JacksonCash

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015, 09:09:38 pm »
Yes, I have made them.  Draw knife, spokeshave, scraper and rasp will work well.  Don't forget sandpaper. 

But the only thing a hand made paddle is allowed to be used for is . . . . a hand made canoe or kayak -  so you better plan some extra time as the project just got a little bigger in scope . . . .

Russ

Right now I've barely got enough time for the bows I'm currently working on, wood turning, and projects around the house. I think both paddle and canoe may be waiting for a bit...

DC - Thanks for the link
JW - Thanks for the confidence

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 06:02:07 pm »
I once made one out of an old pair of flippers, a broom handle, and some duct tape. Inflatable lounge chair stood in for the kayak, worked great, lol!

Offline wildman

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2015, 09:10:53 am »
We are avid paddlers here and have made a few. I would suggest cypress or catalpa wood they are light , strong and resist rot. Grain runout on the handle is as important as it is on arrows. Good luck.
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-