Author Topic: Feather length  (Read 3372 times)

Offline bow101

Feather length
« on: July 20, 2015, 09:23:59 am »
I currently use 4" fletching, does longer fletching have any advantage.?
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Feather length
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 10:13:48 am »
Feathers are or steerage and steer by adding drag to the back of the arrow. Ideally you want to use as little fletching as you can and still get good arrow flight.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 12:19:37 pm »
I think longer has only one advantage and that's appearance. If the flight guys can get their arrows to fly straight with hummingbird feathers ;) ;) then bigger just adds more and more drag. If going from 4" to 5" improves the flight then your spine/balance is probably wrong.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 12:42:45 pm »
I think the width of the feather plays way more into drag than the length. I actually would be willing to bet a 3" feather 1" wide creates more drag than a 5" feather of the same width. A gradual incline is more aerodynamic than a steep one.  I assume this logic applies to fletchings, but I don't have wind tunnel data to back it up so I could be wrong. 
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 01:41:40 pm »
In studying Asian archery, Manchu mostly, I've read that the fletching was very long, 6-8", but very narrow. Now since most Asian archery from this region whether shot from the ground or not stems from horse archery the theory goes that the somewhat shorter ranges involved in horse archery combined with the moving perpendicular to the target led to this fletching design. But again, with any Asian martial art everything must be taken with a grain of salt due to the mysticism the west seems determined to attribute to it, lol.

Offline bow101

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 04:31:39 pm »
Just asking but somewhere along the way I missed the part of just enough to stabilize flight.  Thought some used longer fletching for something else besides looks.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 08:04:16 pm »
I used to use 5 1/2" high back shield cut feathers but now burn my own style but it is somewhat similar to the shield. When shooting field points smaller fletching probably works well but when shooting broadheads a little more stability is needed.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Tower

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2015, 08:14:16 pm »
I shoot an eight inch fletch 1/2" high from the shaft.   I have found that it recovers quick & has no sound in flight.   I shot at the classic & several people were amazed at how quiet my arrows were.  Just my opinion. 
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2015, 09:44:03 pm »
I used to use 5 1/2" high back shield cut feathers but now burn my own style but it is somewhat similar to the shield. When shooting field points smaller fletching probably works well but when shooting broadheads a little more stability is needed.

I'm going to have to modify my opinion that bigger fletching just looks good. I have no experience with broadheads but I can see where they would need more stability. It's kinda like putting a canard on a Cessna.

Offline punch

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2015, 01:29:58 pm »
Large fletching will allow an arrow to recover faster.  But it also will make them slower. By large I am talking surface area.  I like to put a large feather on my arrows and trim them until I reach the point for a particular bow that I am happy with the recovery rate and arrow distance/speed