Author Topic: Hand tool dexterity  (Read 4315 times)

Offline DC

Re: Hand tool dexterity
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2015, 12:06:47 pm »
I'm a lefty mostly but it's sure strange watching a lefty work. It looks weird. Does anyone know it rasps and files are cut for rightys?

Offline ajooter

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2015, 09:59:01 pm »
I definately have trouble going from righty to lefty.  Even when I use two hands with a rasp I have trouble.  Hatchet work....forget it!! I'm lucky I still have all my toes!!  I really like using hand tools and I'm now becoming pretty efficient at making a flat surface more readily.  I totally understand what you mean about drumming making you more ambidextrous.  Never could get that coordinated Pearly!!

Offline dbb

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2015, 10:53:39 pm »
My story is the same as JWs,probably lefthanded to start with and forced to change.
Things i learnt by myself i often do as a lefthander tho.And i can write lefthanded too,it looks as bad as the righthanded text  ;D
The right eye is totally dominant so shooting anything is right side only.

It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

mikekeswick

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2015, 02:13:45 pm »
I'm a lefty mostly but it's sure strange watching a lefty work. It looks weird. Does anyone know it rasps and files are cut for rightys?

Yes they are cut right handed.
I got some Auriou rasps in left hand cut and I can't use them properly because I learnt to use 'normal' ones and did so for years. I have to say that even being left handed I prefer a right handed cutting rasp....
Climbing also stops one arm/hand getting too dominant, I don't really have a difference in strength.

Online stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2015, 02:48:12 pm »
Woodcarving schools ring a bell at regular intervals at which time the apprentices must change hands so they become competent and confident with either hand