Author Topic: Is this firewood?  (Read 1469 times)

Offline marcusaurelius

Is this firewood?
« on: July 16, 2015, 02:53:18 pm »
Hey guys, long time lurker, but first time poster. I have build about 8 board bows, but would like to move onto a stave bow. My dad is making a desktop out of juniper and asked if I would like the top cut of the log that he wasn't using. I of course said yes but when I removed the bark it looked like some bugs had been making the log their home for a while. Anyways I was wondering if the wood is usable.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Is this firewood?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 02:59:23 pm »
If you can get below the bug damage you could back it with rawhide or sinew and probably get a bow out of it.
 Remove the damage and post new pics. How long is the piece?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Josh B

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 03:41:46 pm »
Its hard to tell for sure on my phone screen, but it looks like you have both borers and powder post beetle damage.  If it has little holes about the diameter of pencil lead its powder post beetles.  If that be the case, it's firewood and the sooner you burn it the better.  I just lost a bunch of ERC, elm, hackberry, chokecherry and hickory to them little boogers.  It started with one piece of ERC and spread to my whitewoods.  Get rid of that piece quick!  Josh

Offline marcusaurelius

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 03:54:25 pm »
Gun doc- I just took a closer look at it and there are pencil lead sized holes. Looks like I will just head to home depot and pick up a board for now.
Thanks for the replies and advice.