Author Topic: Tuning question  (Read 1960 times)

Offline marcfrdly

Tuning question
« on: July 13, 2015, 10:58:31 pm »
I am having some issues tuning some tapered shafts. When I shoot them they hit the target with the nock so high they deflect off the target. They are spined within 5 lbs of my draw weight, thoughts?

Offline jayman448

Re: Tuning question
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 11:04:01 pm »
Fletching/sinew catching on hand/shelf? Too much weight forward? Nock on steing out of wack for those arrows?

Offline marcfrdly

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 11:10:53 pm »
I am trying to bare shaft them. The taper looks ok, I've got 125 field points on them, which is what I usually start with. As far as the string, I am using nicks that shoot fine on other arrows.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 11:28:55 pm »
Where is the nock point located? Sounds like it is high. I set mine initially at 3/8" above horizontal then do fine tuning adjustments. I do nock over the nock point.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline marcfrdly

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 11:39:09 pm »
I thought the same thing, so I moved the nock down and no change.same nock point on other arrows yields a slight nock up, less than an inch, which is what I usually like.

Offline bow101

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 11:52:40 pm »
Does the bow have a shelf.?  The arrow may be slapping the arrow rest.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

mikekeswick

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 02:57:44 am »
Yep if you've got a shelf they are 'ramping'.

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2015, 07:06:35 am »
Probably limb timing.

The bottom limb may be too strong, pulling the nock down in relation to the shelf upon the draw, and then when it leaves the string upon release, it's either still low enough to hit the shelf which throws it tail high, or it is thrown tail high as the nock moves back up, in relation to the shelf, as it returns to its starting point.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline marcfrdly

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2015, 08:18:08 am »
The bow has a shelf, but I don't haven't had any similar problems with straight shafts, just these tapered ones. As far as the bottom limb being strong, I shoot three under, so I made the bottom with a slight positive tiller. I will post some pictures of the bow/arrows if you guys think it might help.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2015, 12:52:38 pm »
  I say it's your nocking point on the string. Along with little to light spine

Nocking point causes up or down entering side ways left and right is wrong spine.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2015, 01:34:51 pm »
The bow has a shelf, but I don't haven't had any similar problems with straight shafts, just these tapered ones. As far as the bottom limb being strong, I shoot three under, so I made the bottom with a slight positive tiller. I will post some pictures of the bow/arrows if you guys think it might help.
First thing that comes to my mind is which way do you have the taper running. If you have the nock on the large end it might cause this problem.
Steve Bennett

Offline bambam

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2015, 07:33:57 pm »
Most probably your nocking point is wrong. The way to check for this is shoot a long distance like 40 yards, don't aim but watch the arrow fly. If the fletch goes up and down (porpising) your nock point is too high or low. Some  long bow types need a nock point a surprising amount above level for 3 finger under shooting.
He was honest for a politician, meaning he would not steal a red hot stove.   Mark Twain

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2015, 12:25:22 pm »
Wich end did you use for the nock , big or small ?
Big end on nock can give you problems especially if the spine is a bit off
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !