Author Topic: Time to retire the old mule  (Read 3532 times)

Offline Badger

Time to retire the old mule
« on: July 12, 2015, 12:36:08 pm »
      I have made a lot of bows over this shaving mule but I think it needs a few design changes I have been putting off. Going to miss you old girl! The 4 staves I roughed out in the picture I decided to weigh so I could keep track of the moisture loss. Every single one of the weighed exactly 36 oz. I got a kick out of that.

Offline HighEagle

Re: Time to retire the old mule
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 02:09:20 pm »
I'm in about the same boat with my shave horse. You going to use the same design or use a different plan? Like to see what you come up with, Thanks Chuck
Armstrong, BC

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 03:03:54 pm »
I'm in about the same boat with my shave horse. You going to use the same design or use a different plan? Like to see what you come up with, Thanks Chuck

This is actually called a shaving mule because of the type of adjustment it uses where the stave rests. I am going to slightly change the height and the angles of the legs and the angle on the stave holding block. Very close to indentical with only very minor changes.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 05:32:04 pm »
It served you well, Badger!
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline HighEagle

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 06:30:56 pm »
Hope you post it when finished, Chuck
Armstrong, BC

Offline TolkienFan

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 08:06:43 pm »
Looks nice, I'll take it haha.  Is there a tutorial on how to make one of those?  It would save my back, which has been getting very sore for shaping my staves. 
“The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can.”

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2015, 09:43:48 pm »
looks like its got a few more bows in it :)

Offline Badger

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2015, 11:03:25 pm »
looks like its got a few more bows in it :)

It would probably out last me.  I want the new one about 8" longer, about 1/2 the angle you see not on the bow sitting in it. A little higher so I can use a longer foot petal. The seat slides and with another 8 inches I could work an entire limb without moving the bow. I am also considering just working in a vice and standing. As a retiree my legs need the exercise, amazing the workout you can give your legs hogging wood off of a stave while standing. Sitting on the horse almost makes it too easy.

mikekeswick

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2015, 03:57:07 am »
I must say I prefer the precision of a vice and solid bench. I've used shave horses a few times and never really got on with them, what I do like is the fact that you aren't tied into a workshop with a shave horse especially when the sun is shining  :)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2015, 04:12:28 am »
I get a lot of people asking me for 'plans' for my one... Plans??? I didn't use no steenking plans ::)
Fitting the seat at an angle worked for me so that I can let the stave pass by my left side... handy with some of those V long warbows.
When I'm doing fetes/fairs etc I tell the kids it's called a shave horse 'cos it's got the 3 legs like a horse ::)... maybe a kid will laugh one day? :laugh:
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2015, 07:25:03 am »
I also use a vice  and standing but on occasionally I just want to set and use mine, a good vice set up or bench is like an old friend, you get use to them and them to you. ;) :) Mine got more use when you was in Tennessee than it has in a long while.  ;) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2015, 08:35:04 am »
I guess they can be useful down South but up here in the North they are not very practical so I stopped using mine some 20 years ago.  Do all of my tillering indoors, don't have to fight with the bugs in the Summer and I don't freeze my a** in the Winter
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Badger

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2015, 09:26:37 am »
I guess they can be useful down South but up here in the North they are not very practical so I stopped using mine some 20 years ago.  Do all of my tillering indoors, don't have to fight with the bugs in the Summer and I don't freeze my a** in the Winter

I always wondered about that Mark. I live on the coast, seldom ever hot, never cold and no bugs. I actually envy the guys with 4 seasons but might change my mind if I lived in it.