Author Topic: Safety harness reviews, PLEASE!  (Read 10180 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Safety harness reviews, PLEASE!
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2015, 03:58:30 pm »
Yep that is why I set my strap where I can,t hang If I fall out my feet won't be over a foot below the platform and yes I have a knife also. Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline JEB

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2015, 04:16:08 pm »
One of the other things Chris and I do is that we carry our cell phones with us on vibrate just in case one of us get into trouble.

With that being said I still help her in and out of the tree/ harness that she has been wearing. Just looking for the vest type for her.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2015, 08:14:26 pm »
My question is: are you looking for a dog leash to keep you in your stand, or a fall protection harness?

I guess I don't know what the difference would be.  I want something that will stop me from plummeting to my death. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline JEB

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2015, 08:23:16 pm »
A few years ago a friend of mine fell out of his stand leaving his wedding ring and finger up on the stand. Crap, that must have felt good!!!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2015, 10:51:29 pm »
Even with a good harness on you can die(have a heart attack) if you hang for more that 15 minutes. I keep a small, sharp knife in a sheath attached to the harness where it is easy to get to if necessary. 

Add the side straps so you can put your feet in them and stand up straight until you figure out what you are going to do. They are mandatory on all of the work sites I'm on when wearing Fall Restraint.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2015, 12:42:50 pm »
There are some great resources that specifically sell safety gear. One I use a lot is the Safety Depot but there are others of equal quality  I'm sure. I bought a fall restraint system for work through them and found the information really helpful in making my decisions.

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2015, 12:59:42 pm »
I have no experience with treestand harnesses but i wear them at work an awful lot. I have seen guys hanging from their harness and recovering someone can be quite the ordeal. You always need a plan to get down once you're hanging.

Offline Patches

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2015, 02:19:11 pm »
I have had good luck with Hunter Safety Systems harnesses too.  Mine has the side strap to step into if you do fall out of the stand, so that it relieves the pressure on your legs and is supposed to prevent the heart attack/blood clotting in the legs if I fall.
"You are never a complete failure as long as you can be used as a bad example..."

Offline PeteC

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2015, 04:58:41 pm »
JW, anything is better than nothing at all. All I have ever used is a webbed nylon belt and tether.As I mentioned in my post,I'm sure it saved my life. JMHO  God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2015, 09:07:56 am »
I have a Loggy Bayou transformer, wider leg straps, good tether arrangement with break away loops to cushion your fall. It is a little heavier than most but seems really sound. I put a chest strap on mine to make sure it won't come off my shoulders.   

http://www.loggybayou.com/

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2015, 09:28:44 am »
What pappy is talking about is like a dog leash. It would be a belt system that keeps you from even falling off the stand. Most aerial operations call for fall protection, but they fail to say what kind. In the case of a scissor lift, if you were to fall over the edge it could make the lift tip over, crushing you, so if you have a dog leash set up, you can't even fall out.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2015, 05:45:04 pm »
Years ago when I did construction work, I spent a lot of time working in a safety belt/saddle/seat setup that was good. I am sure such a rig would cost a lot more than you are looking to put into one, but those things were so good I could work for hours hanging over the side of buildings or riding loads of concrete that were being flown on a crane to above the top of buildings. OSHA has probably long since banned riding crane loads. I never had a fall, but I did spend time working while suspended on such a safety rig many times. My two cents is that if it were me, my safety rig would not be the place to cut any corners. I would want to KNOW that thing was up to doing the job.

WA

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2015, 07:42:48 pm »
I won't go in a tree if I don't have my harness on. I have a full body harness I believe it's called
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2015, 08:42:19 pm »
My two cents is that if it were me, my safety rig would not be the place to cut any corners. I would want to KNOW that thing was up to doing the job.

WA

Oh heck yeah!!!  First time I built a muzzleloader, a friend demanded I bring him the barrel and the breechplug when I had 'em mated so that he could check  it out.  Fortunately, I did it right and he gave me the pass.  Don't get it right and the breech can become a projectile flying straight back thru your eye and out the back of your head.  I'll cheat and have white wine with red meat, use the wrong spine arrow on a bow, or not rewind a DVD before I return it....but on safety stuff, I don't cheat or go cheap.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2015, 10:01:35 am »
JW, from what I have gleaned from all the guys who study original rifles it the builders weren't as anal as us modern builders about breechplug fit, they seldom if ever mated the plug with the breech face. As far as I know there haven't been too many, if any, breechplug blowouts that anyone has been able to document in modern times.

Jim Chambers stated that perfect breechplug fit is highly overrated and he doesn't try to achieve it.

I hope he is right because my first and second are OK but not perfect. There is so much high temp antiseize compound around my plug threads that fowling and moisture can't possibly enter the area.