Author Topic: reflex jig questions.  (Read 1460 times)

Offline Aries

reflex jig questions.
« on: June 27, 2015, 08:59:08 am »
Happy weekend guys! I have a question about reflex jigs.
Do you use a jig that's the length of the entire bow limb to do your reflex or do you do a sort of "spot" reflexing?  What would you say is the best way to heat treat and reflex (either do these two steps together or separate?)   
I have had good results with recurving, but I have been inconsistent at best with heating in reflex on my osage bows.
I appreciate any help or advice!
Enjoy your weekend!
"If the only tool you have is a hammer,
                   you tend to see every problem as a nail."
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline osage outlaw

Re: reflex jig questions.
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 12:41:45 pm »
My reflex caul is for the entire length of the bow.  I have some smaller forms for flipping tips or adding a little extra reflex near the end of the limb.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 02:01:39 pm »
I have both full length and one side forms. It depends on the stave as to which I use...sometimes I use both.
 I'll clamp the stave at the handle and heat and clamp out each limb. When done I go over each limb again and heat it well then let it cool over night.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2015, 02:04:18 pm »
When you get to the point in your bow making journey where your reflexing and recurving you can never have enough jigs. I have a few full length cauls that are all for different lengths and style, and also a few different recurve jigs. One that I recently made is one of my favs, it's got a nice sharp recurve and a nice curve for reflexing the limb. I like to start with a steam or boil for my tips, bend it in the jig, then continue heating with a gun and clamping up the limb as you go.
For recurve jigs make them long, it helps with them lining up and you can even recurve and get out some propeller twist at the same time.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2015, 02:53:19 pm »
This all I use with leather. Shims.if I were to make another it would be a bit narrower though,
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Aries

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2015, 09:36:58 am »
Thanks for all of your good information guys, it's appreciated! I found an old PA article where Marc st Louis made did his high performance deflect recurve and it also has some good pictures and descriptions I'm gonna try out. Now all I have to do is get these dang billets to fit together....
"If the only tool you have is a hammer,
                   you tend to see every problem as a nail."
                               ~Abraham Maslow