Author Topic: "Thurisaz" hickory flatbow 2.0  (Read 2314 times)

Offline Academonicon

"Thurisaz" hickory flatbow 2.0
« on: June 28, 2015, 06:34:15 pm »
Once upon a time, I made a hickory flatbow with a mild recurve.  It was pretty, it was functional, and it was not broken.  I tested it, it shot very nicely, and I was happy with it.  Then I sent it off to its intended recipient, who somehow managed to snap the thing the first time he pulled it back.  Upon hearing this news, my skin turned green and I grew into an enormous rage monster.

When I came to amid the rubble of the buildings I'd destroyed, I decided I should replace the broken bow, so I set to work on that.  And good news!  Not only did I finish the replacement, but I actually like it better than the original!  Happy ending!

The bow is called "Thurisaz", meaning "giant" in Old Norse, and features the thurisaz rune on the lower limb and a raven flying through trees design on the upper.  It's 64.125" notch-to-notch, 57# at my client's gargantuan 30" draw, unbacked, stiff-handled with a mahogany riser, and mildly flipped tips.

On to the next build!

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
Re: "Thurisaz" hickory flatbow 2.0
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 07:06:19 pm »
I still haven't had anyone snap their bow. One guy left it strung ~17 hours and the bow took half an inch of permanent set after relaxing, but the thing had two inches of reflex so neither of us were too upset. What grinds my gears is that I have to armor my bows before handing them over to the USPS. Three bows this year, all tip damage, one because the blocks of foam had actually been removed by Canadian customs. Now I do this with balsa, cut-out center piece and two sides lashed tight.

50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline Academonicon

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 07:14:38 pm »
That's good to know, and an excellent idea.  I've had good luck with shipping so far, but it's just a matter of time until something goes amiss.  Thanks for the tip!

Offline Drewster

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 07:16:22 pm »
Looks like a fine piece of work.  Maybe this one will stand up to the rigors of a 30" draw.
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 08:31:55 pm »
Thats a sweet bow! Love the artwork. Nicely done.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Ryan C

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2015, 09:21:05 pm »
Love the artwork and handle.

Offline red hill

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2015, 09:50:55 pm »
You should release that inner monster more often... The results are outstanding!

Offline bowmo

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2015, 11:10:58 pm »
Looks really good. That a great tiller