Author Topic: Splicing limb extensions  (Read 7603 times)

mikekeswick

Re: Splicing limb extensions
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2015, 01:36:10 am »
Yes no problem doing this. The main limb should be the female section and the extension the male part. Plain v splice is the way to go.
If you can't get flawless joints then simple get them as good as you can , then steam the ends for 15 mins or so and then clamp together until cool - they will then be perfect.

Offline DC

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2015, 12:19:00 pm »
The main limb should be the female section and the extension the male part.

Do you know the reason for this or is this just "the way it's done"

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2015, 12:32:00 pm »
Yes no problem doing this. The main limb should be the female section and the extension the male part. Plain v splice is the way to go.
If you can't get flawless joints then simple get them as good as you can , then steam the ends for 15 mins or so and then clamp together until cool - they will then be perfect.

;D Logic was telling me the same thing but I've found I'm always better off asking before doing.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline PatM

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2015, 12:56:26 pm »
The main limb should be the female section and the extension the male part.

Do you know the reason for this or is this just "the way it's done"
The opposite way will have two "slivers" farther down the limb into the working section.

Offline DC

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2015, 12:58:37 pm »
Thanks, that make sense

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2015, 12:59:36 pm »
PatM, I took your advice and used the edge rings and I'm really happy with the results!!

It's been awhile because I've been busy with other projects. A lot of bows in the works and have finished up three, two of which were wedding gifts for a young friend and his new bride. Another for one of my grand daughters. Fist pic is the wedding bows.

I ended up using red cedar for the extensions. I added deer antler for overlays and may knock the size of them down a bit. I've only shot 1/2 dz arrows through it and am amazed at the speed.

I'm going to add a wrap of sinew at the extensions, stain the red cedar, add a couple of arrow rest to the sleeve, do either jute or leather for the handle wrap and finish it off with true oil.

Thanks again for all of you guys help. I'll be showing a snakey osage take down when I get it floor tillered. 

60" NTN, 48@29
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2015, 04:15:45 am »
Looking good :D. The color contrast makes it stand out nicely too, especially with the white antler overlays.
Is it just the light, or is there a bit of a gap at the lower joint line of the last pic? Depending on th glue you used, that may or may not be an issue.

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2015, 08:32:11 am »
joachhim, I used urac i85 for the glue up.  After 2 days I then soaked  6" of both tips for 5 minutes in wood hardener.  I gave that another couple days indoors to dry out and then heat treated. I think you're just seeing the color of the urac.

Offline PatM

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2015, 09:01:35 am »
Looks good ,Fred. Now 48" pieces of perfect wood are going to look like a potential full length bow.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2015, 10:20:45 am »
This looks like a fun concept.  ...adding it to my bucket list.

OneBow

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2015, 11:46:27 am »
I spliced new tips onto a bow that I'd overdrawn. I made the tips the male V and the levers the female because I had V little wood to work with.
Here:-
http://bowyersdiary.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/monkey-bow-lives-again.html
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2015, 12:28:43 pm »
Hey Del, I like your website!!!!

Offline TimBo

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2015, 04:14:25 pm »
That looks great!  I have a couple of "just a bit short" staves that I will try this on.  I wouldn't have thought of ERC for the extensions, but that would make the tips nice and light.

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2015, 05:21:17 pm »
The red cedar worried me until it was mentioned by PatM to instal them utilizing the edge grain. Then for added insurance I used the wood hardener and heat treated. When heat treating you could see the hardener boiling out of the wood.