Author Topic: Advice please - Saskatoon Serviceberry  (Read 2594 times)

Offline SIIaCanuck

Advice please - Saskatoon Serviceberry
« on: June 15, 2015, 11:55:33 pm »
I hadn't intended on cutting any prospective wood until after the leaves had dropped but I was out brushing a 60 year old fence line that we're replacing and stopped the Cat to look at a nice little bird's nest in the hazelnut next to the cab.  I knew there was a bunch of Saskatoon (Western Serviceberry) in the bush but figured I'd eyed out some really nice stuff about 1/4 mile away so wasn't worried too much about the bit of bush I was in.

Anyway, I looked forward and a nice straight looking Saskatoon was about 2' in front of the blade.  I figured I may as well cut it down and save it or it'd just end up in the brush pile.

The bit I cut is 73" long and 1-1/2" in diameter at the mid point, 1-1/4" at the top and 1-5/8" at the bottom.  It's completely knot free for 52 inches from the bottom and the bark shows no sign of twist.  Figured it might be a worthwhile piece of wood to experiment with.

As I've got it, how should I season it?  Bark on or off?  Seal/wrap the ends or not?  I've read that Serviceberry dries quickly without checking but others have had problems.

I'm in no hurry and I'll probably just bind it to a steel tube I've got in the shop to keep it straight as it dries and seasons a bit.  I don't have time to work it right now anyway but don't want to waste it.

Here are a couple of photos.  Any ideas on what I should do with it are welcome.  I even have a spade that needs a new handle and this stuff is easily the equal of Ash for that type of work.  That being said, if it's capable of helping me learn to make a bow, then that's the direction I'll go.

Stew

If Wellington had met Napoleon at Waterloo with Roman Legionaries, English Longbow Archers and Mongolian cavalry, how much more quickly would he have won?

Offline wizardgoat

Re: Advice please - Saskatoon Serviceberry
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 01:40:52 am »
I've had such bad luck with s'toon berry checking on me, I haven't yet made a bow from it yet.
Id leave the bark on and seal the ends ASAP. Id be tempted to rough it out a bit and strap it to a 2x4 or a caul. Leave it long. 
Seems like nice heavy wood for a white wood though

Offline bambam

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 11:05:48 am »
Also here in AB. Working on my third Saskatoon. Do not de-bark and seal the ends with glue. In spite of the straight bark it will probably propeller twist when it dries. Last one I let dry for 6 months then flattened one side and attached to a 2x4. It dried nice and straight but so much propeller twist it was unusable. Got another like yours a few weeks ago. I will let dry for at least a year without touching it, that way the twist will not matter. Have one about as thick as my thumb mostly finished and pulling 55 lb that might be posted soon. PM me if you like.
He was honest for a politician, meaning he would not steal a red hot stove.   Mark Twain

Offline SIIaCanuck

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 04:10:00 pm »
I'll try the glue and dry option.  What type of glue is best?
Stew

If Wellington had met Napoleon at Waterloo with Roman Legionaries, English Longbow Archers and Mongolian cavalry, how much more quickly would he have won?

Offline Johnny K

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 04:14:52 pm »
I used regular titebond wood glue on mine, haven't had any checks so far...
If this bow breaks, I'll build another. If it doesn't............. I'll still build another.

Offline SIIaCanuck

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 04:46:12 pm »
John,

Thanks, I'll give that a try.  Do you let the ends dry a bit to get the glue to adhere or do you just throw it on the green wood?
Stew

Offline Johnny K

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 05:47:19 pm »
I put it on green... I think the idea is to get it on before the end dries, so that it doesn't split.
If this bow breaks, I'll build another. If it doesn't............. I'll still build another.

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2015, 05:52:39 pm »
Yup, as soon as possible. The glue is water soluble when wet so it just mixes with the sap.

Offline Tree_Ninja

• Clandestine Bow-ops
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2015, 05:55:13 pm »
Wood glue bonds to wet wood no problem. When in doubt saran wrap the ends 6-12".

Offline bambam

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2015, 06:55:35 pm »
First Saskatoon bow tillered perfect, test drew perfect but de-laminated 2 growth rings first shooting session because of a small knot on the back. The one I have near finished also had small knots issues. Wanted to back it with natural lined but the rounded back made that difficult. Got the bright idea of coating the back with .5 inch strips of linen soaked with glue. It's drying now and looks really ugly but betting it won't break. hope to post it next week.
He was honest for a politician, meaning he would not steal a red hot stove.   Mark Twain

Offline HighEagle

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2015, 08:32:25 pm »
I cut and peeled some large 5- 6" saskatoon this spring, sealed the ends with glue and it has all split by now it did have a twist to it anyways. I usually don't peel it as soon as I cut it. To lazy I guess. It has been no problem to remove the bark later after it has seasoned the summer or longer, if it does start to check I re-cut and seal the ends again. The bark is thin comes off easy with the drawknife I sometimes leave some of the cumbian on or scrape it off with a knife or scraper.
                                                                                                        Good luck to ya, Chuck   
Armstrong, BC

Offline SIIaCanuck

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2015, 12:06:23 am »
Thanks gents, very useful advice.

Thinking outside the box, has anyone tried binding the cut end with a heavy duty hose clamp to help stop check progression along the sapling?
Stew