Author Topic: Nock Design  (Read 3131 times)

Offline DC

Nock Design
« on: June 11, 2015, 05:04:33 pm »
Is there any risk in having the nock this close to the end of the bow wood? It's on a 32# bow. What about the same thing on a 50# bow?

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
Re: Nock Design
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 05:25:13 pm »
I think you're fine ;)
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline sleek

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 05:32:13 pm »
As long as your splice is at least 8x longer than it is thick you are good to go no mater where you cut your nocks. Proper gluing processes being the variable here....nice looking scarf btw, its the method I use.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 09:45:25 pm »
I personally like to have a little more meat of the bow under an overlay. I don't put much trust in my glue joints though

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 10:05:34 pm »
I personally like to have a little more meat of the bow under an overlay. I don't put much trust in my glue joints though

I agree with the goat wizard
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

mikekeswick

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2015, 03:32:20 am »
Once you've glued your overlay on then make your first cut 3/4 inch from the very end of the tip and you won't have any problems. I think on this one you are a bit close to the end.

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2015, 04:56:02 am »
Maybe a little close but will probably be OK. I don't like my overlay it self passed the end of the bow, just personal I guess because a lot do it that way and it does look good, but I have seen them knocked off when the bow tip hits the ground or anything else, and if it does it will usually take a big splinter off the top of the limb ,so I don't want to take that risk. It is like a big lever at the end of the bow and don't take much of a lick to knock it loose. :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2015, 11:31:46 am »
I always grind my angle so I leave about 1/4" or so under the overlay at the very tip, if that makes sense
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2015, 07:24:59 pm »
I glued these on early in the build and when I thinned down the tips I got a little overhang. I didn't like the look of it(strength wise) but I had seen the occasional one like that. Thought I would ask. I'll avoid it in the future. It wouldn't take much to replace them but being a light I thought it may be OK.